A search engine is a software program or script available through the Internet that searches documents and files for keywords and returns the results of any files containing those keywords. A search engine is a site on the WWW that allows you to search for other websites. It is more powerful than a web directory. It will search the web or the basis of the keyword that you give.
There are thousands of different search engines available on the Internet, each with their own abilities and features. The first search engine ever developed is considered Archie, which was used to search for FTP files and the first text-based search engine is considered Veronica.
Today, the most popular and well-known search engine is Google. Other popular search engines include AOL, Ask.com, Baidu, Bing and Yahoo. A search engine has a huge database of internet resources such as web pages, newsgroups, programs, images etc. The major function of a search engine is that it helps to locate information on World Wide Web.
- What is a search engine?
- List TWO examples of search Engine.
THE MOST POPULAR SEARCH ENGINE IS GOOGLE.COM
· Search Engine Components
Generally there are three basic components of a search engine as listed below:
- Web Crawler
- Search Interfaces
1. Web crawler
It is also known as spider or bots. It is a software component that traverses the web to gather information.
All the information on the web is stored in database. It consists of huge web resources.
3. Search Interfaces
This component is an interface between user and the database. It helps the user to search through the database.
EXAMPLE OF SEARCH ENGINES
|It was originally called BackRub. It is the most popular search engine globally.|
|Bing||It was launched in 2009 by Microsoft. It is the latest web-based search engine that also delivers Yahoo’s results.|
|Ask||It was launched in 1996 and was originally known as Ask Jeeves. It includes support for match, dictionary, and conversation question.|
|AltaVista||It was launched by Digital Equipment Corporation in 1995. Since 2003, it is powered by Yahoo technology.|
|AOL.Search||It is powered by Google.|
|LYCOS||It is the top 5 internet portal and 13th largest online property according to Media Matrix.|
|Alexa||It is a subsidiary of Amazon and used for providing website traffic information.|
USES OF SEARCH ENGINES
Search engines can be used to:
- To carry out research.
- To search information about peoples, places and products.
- Get definition of words, acronyms, etc.
- Download applications from the internet.
- To lookup other websites.
- List the search engine components.
- State THREE uses of search engines.
- Write briefly on Google and Bing
- What is web crawler?
Simple guide to computer page 6
- A program through the Internetthat searches documents and files for keywords and returns the results of any files containing those keyword is called…………. A. web Crawler B. search engine C. websites D. internet
- The following are components of search engine except……A. web crawler B. search interface C. database D. website.
- Which of these search engines was launched in 2009 by Microsoft A. Bing B. Google C. AOL D. LYCOS
- ………………. It is top 5 internet portal and 13th largest online property according to Media Matrix. Bing B. Google C. AOL D. LYCOS
- ……………….. is also known as spider or A. web crawler. B. Search interface C. Search engine D. Database.
- List and explain TWO examples of search engines.
- What is search engine?
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate