THE STEVENSON SCREEN
– A white wooden box mounted on 4 legs used to house thermometers and hygrometers. The instruments which are found in it are:
- Maximum thermometer
- Minimum thermometer
- Six’s thermometer
- hygrometer-wet bulb and dry bulb thermometer
- Provide shade conditions for accurate temperature recording.
- Ensure safety of thermometers because they are delicate.
Qualifications Which Make Stevenson Screen Suitable For Its Work
- Painted white for little absorption of solar heat energy.
- Made of wood which is a bad conductor of heat.
- Well ventilated to allow easier flow of air inside it.
- Raised to prevent contact with terrestrial radiation.
- Has double roof which acts as an insulator to prevent direct heating from the sun.
Recording and Calculating Weather Conditions