Table of Contents
A family can be defined as a group of people who live together and are united by ties of marriage, birth, blood and adoption. It is the smallest unit of the society.
TYPES OF FAMILY
Nuclear Family: This consists of father, mother and their children. It is also sometimes called a monogamous family.
Polygamous Family: This is made up of a man, his wives and their several children. In a polygamous family, the husband has more than one wife.
Extended Family: This type of family is made up of husband, his wife, or wives, their children and other relations like uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, wives of sons and their children.
FUNCTIONS OF THE FAMILY
- Procreation: Family bears children to increase the size of the society.
- Socialization: They teach the young ones how to relate and conform to the norms of the family.
- Protection and Provision: They provide clothing, shelter and food for members of the family; they also protect the younger members.
4 Education: They educate the young ones on how to participate in house work.
5 Love: They show love and teach their member how to reciprocate love.
6 Religious Beliefs: They teach members to fear,respect and honour God.
- Define family.
- Mention five function of the family.
OTHER NAMES BY WHICH WE REFER TO OTHER RELATIVES IN THE FAMILY
Your parents’ parents are your – grand parents
Your mother’s or father’s brothers – uncles
Your mother’s or father’s sisters – aunts
Your brother’s or sister’s sons – nephews
Your brother’s or sister’s daughter – niece
Your uncle’s or aunt’s children – first cousins
Your first cousin’s children and your own children – second cousins
Half-sister/half-brother: children with whom you share either your mother or your father but have separate mother or father
ROLES OR RESPONSIBILITIES OR FUNCTIONS OF FAMILY MEMBERS
Role of the Father
- He is the head of the family.
- He provides for the family’s need such as shelter/house, food, clothing, school fees etc.
- He disciplines family members.
- He acts as a model for his children by showing them good examples.
- He shows love to family members and protects them.
Roles of the Mother
- She bears the children.
- She prepares food for the family.
- She cares for the house and family clothing.
- She contributes to family income with father.
- She takes care of the simple needs of the family.
- She acts as a model for her daughters by showing them good example.
Role of the Children
- As children grow up they are expected to:
- Respect and obey their parents and adults in the society.
- Help their mother with household work, e.g. cleaning the house, washing plates, caring for younger ones etc.
- Love themselves and their parents.
- Learn the culture of the society.
- Work with parents in the farm where such exists.
General Evaluation Questions
- Define family.
- Mention types of family
- State roles of the children in the family.
- Define Home economics.
- Mention two importance of Home economics tom the family and nation..
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- Polygamous family means a family with—— (a) one wife (b) more than one wife (c) a teenager as a wife (d)many children.
- Which of the following shows how family members are related? (a) family picture (b) family tree (c) family form (d) family album.
- Your brother’s or sister’s son is your (a) niece (b) cousin (c) nephew (d) aunt.
- The father is the —– of the family (a) coordinator (b)messenger (c) bread winner (d) errand man
- The—— type of family consists of the husband, wives, children, uncle and relations (a) polygamous (b) extended (c) nuclear (d) polyandry
- Explain the types of family.
- List three functions of the family.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate