Family house is a place usually a building where family members live together as one. In any family house, there are different rooms or areas. Each room or area is usually used for different purposes or activities or functions. The rooms or areas of the family house that are furnished and used for different functions are called the functional rooms or areas of the house.. The functional areas are:
- Sitting room
- Dining room
- Guest room.
- Pantry/ store.
SITTING ROOM OR LIVING ROOM
- It is used as a relaxation centre for family members.
- It is used for receiving and entertaining visitors
- Part of it can used as dining area.
- Family pictures and other precious collections can be displayed there
- It can be used for social activities, such as parties, meetings, e.t.c.
Sitting room furniture
- A set of settee or chairs, these are available in different shapes, sizes and forms
- A coffee or centre table
- A set of side stools.
- Wall cabinet or room divider, book shelf.
- Optional items include television, radio, e.t.c. These are not pieces of furniture
- The sitting room also requires floor coverings, curtains and other decorative accessories.
- It is a place for sleeping or resting
- It is a place for keeping important personal belongings, such as money, documents, clothes, jewellery, e.t.c.
- It is a centre for dressing and making up.
- bed: this can be made with different types of materials.
- Mattress: this can be just foam or foam with spring interior
- Wardrobe or closet: this can be inbuilt r a huge cupboard
- A dressing table: this usually has a mirror mounted on it and a chest of drawers storage
- A stool: this goes with the dressing table
- Bedside cupboard: this can either be a part of the bed stand or a separate unit. It is used for storage.
- we also have bed lines, pillows wardrobe or chests of drawers for clothes.
This is the functional area of the home where the family members eat their meals. It can be a separate room or part of the sitting room.
Uses of dining room
- It is used as a centre for family meals
- It can be used for serving meals to visitors.
Dining room furniture
- Dining table
- Side board or cupboard for storing cutlery, glasses, table mats, linens e.t.c. Drinks and food items, such as, beverages can also stored in the side-board.
It is used as a centre for
- food storage
- food preparation and cooking
- meal service
- Gas cooker
- Storage cupboard with shelves
- Sink with draining board
- Kitchen taps fitted to the sink
- Refrigerator and deep freezer where they can be afforded
- Pestle and mortar, cooking pots and pans e.t.c.
BATHROOM AND TOILET
- Bathroom is a place where family members have their bath
- It is also used for cleaning up
- Toilet is used to pass away faeces.
Bathrooms and toilet furniture
- Bathtub with hot and cold water taps
- A shower
- A water closet
- Mention the functional areas in the family house
- Differentiate btw living room and sitting room
- Mention the functions of the bedroom and sitting room
Draw types of kitchen layout.