Table of Contents
Characteristics Nitrogenous Fertilizers
- Highly soluble in water.
- Highly mobile in the soil hence it is applied as a top dress.
- Easily leached because of the high solubility hence does not have residual effect on the soil.
- Has scorching effect on young crops during wet seasons.
- Easy to volatilize during hot season.
- They have a tendency to cake under moist conditions.
- They are hygroscopic hence should be stored in dry conditions.
Sulphate of Ammonia (NH4) 2 SO4-
- white crystals,
- Has acidic effect,
- Contains 20% N.
Ammonium Sulphate Nitrate [(NH4), SO4+ NH4 NO;]
Colour: granules which appear yellow orange,
- Less acidic,
- Contains 26% N.
Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN)
Colour: greyish granules,
Neutral in nature, contains 21 % N.
Colour: small whitish granules
Easily leached or volatilized,
Contains 45- 46%N.
- Has low solubility and immobile.
- Has a high residual effect hence benefit the next season’s crop.
- Easy to store because they are not hygroscopic.
- Appearance: whitish, creamy white granules,
- Contains 20-21 % P, O5
Appearance: dark greyish granules,
Contains 40-42% P205
Appearance: small greyish granules,
Contain 44-48% P205
- Has moderate scorching effect.
- Moderately soluble in water.
- Most Kenyan soils have sufficient potassium.
Marinate of Potash (KCI)
- Contain 60 – 62% K10
- Slightly hygroscopic.
- Appearance amorphous white.
Sulphate of Potash (50% K10)
Compound or Mixed Fertilizers
These are fertilizers which supply 2 or more of the macronutrients.
- Mono ammonium phosphate.
- Di-ammonium phosphate
- 20:20:20, 23:23:23
Advantages of application of compound fertilizers
- Saves time and money.
- Mixture gives improved storage properties and better handling.
Disadvantages of compound fertilizers application
- Mixing may not be thorough.
- Incompatibility of the individual fertilizers.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate