Table of Contents
Exercises to Develop Strength, Endurance and Flexibility
The following exercises are designed to develop strength, endurance and flexibility:
- Strength development: Pull up, press up, knee bend, sit up, weight training.
- Endurance development: Circuit training (running on the spot— squat thrust—- press up—Harvard step up—-tread mill—-windmill—-squat jump—-sit up)
- Flexibility development: Windmill, duck walk, hurdle stretch, bending from the trunk, bending the neck sideways, bending forward and backward, trunk flexion standing, trunk extension.
Safety Precautions While Performing Exercises
The following safety precautions should be observed while performing exercises:
(i) You must know your limitation.
(ii) The person must not force himself to perform activity he cannot perform.
(iii) There must be general warm up before performing activities.
(iv) Students should be allowed to practice for some time before testing.
(v) Target should be set on each activity.
(vi) Activity must be appropriate to the age and weight of the student.
(vii) Activity must be stopped when fatigue sets in.
- List 3 activities to develop endurance.
- As a coach, how would you promote flexibility as a vital tool of top performance in sports.
(a) Identify exercises that can be used to develop health related physical components.
(b) List exercises that can be used to develop performance related physical components.