This is the taking over (or transfer of ownership) of privately owned business enterprises by the government for economic, social and political reasons. Such industries involved are known as NATIONALISED INDUSTRIES and the individual owners of the affected industries are paid compensation by the government.
REASONS WHY GOVERNMENT NATIONALIZE INDUSTRY
- To prevent the exploitation of the consumers.
- For security, strategic and political considerations.
- To provide employment for the citizens.
- To generate revenue that will be used for development.
- To ensure fair and equitable distribution of social and economic amenities.
- To break private monopoly power.
- To provide the large capital required to run some business which private owners may not be able to afford.
ADVANTAGES OF NATIONALIZATION
- It eliminates wasteful competition.
- It enables the government to provide essential goods and services to consumers at affordable prices.
- It is used by the Government to control or prevent exploitation of consumers.
- It provides employment opportunities.
- It leads to the elimination of private monopolies.
- It enhances Government control of the economy.
- State five reasons why government will nationalize an industry.
- State five advantages of Nationalization.
DISADVANTAGES OF NATIONALIZATION
- It destroys private initiatives.
- It promotes state monopolies.
- Nationalized businesses become inefficient.
- Corruption and embezzlement is rampant in nationalized industries.
- Bureaucracy and political interference in the operations/management of nationalized industries.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NATIONALISED INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY
|S/N||AREAS OF DIFFERENCE||NATIONALIZED INDUSTRY||PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY|
|1||Ownership||Owned by the government||Owned by shareholders|
|2||Aim||To provide essential services||To maximize profit|
|3||Capital||Provided by the government||Provided by shareholders|
|4||Control||Controlled by the Board of Directors appointed by the government.||Controlled by the Board of Directors elected by shareholders.|
|5||Formation||By decrees or Acts of Parliament||Incorporated under CAMA(1990)|
|6||Publication of Account||Account is not usually published||Account must be published|
- What are the main objectives of nationalization?
- State five differences between nationalized industry and public limited company.
- Which of the following is an advantage of nationalization? (a) Checking exploitation of citizens(b) Business risks are shared (c) Fosters self-reliance (d) leads to monopoly of power
- The act of bringing a privately owned business under exclusive state ownership and control is referred to as ___ (a) commercialization(b) indigenization(c) nationalization(d) privatization
- Which of the following is not a reason for nationalizing an industry? (a) Monopoly (b) Strategy (c) Inflation (d) Security
- Abuse of monopoly power by industrialists could lead to ___ (a) privatization (b) commercialization (c) nationalization (d) indigenization
- The transfer of ownership of a business from private individuals to the Government of a country is known as ___ (a) privatization (b) indigenization (c) nationalization(d) commercialization
- Define the term nationalization.
- State three disadvantages of nationalization.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate