NATIONAL UNITY (FEATURES AND BENEFITS)
National unity is the desire of the citizens of a country to promote peace and stability (common interest) in them country.
Factors that Promote National Unity
- There must be peace in the country
- There must be security in the country
- There must be good government in power
- The economy of the country must be strong
- There must be constant public enlightenment programmes that will promote national unity.
- All Nigerians/Every ethnic group must agree together to promote unity (common interest) and not ethnic interest/differences.
- The rule of law and constitutionalism must be respected by the people and government.
- All Citizens must develop the spirit of patriotism to their government and country.
- There must be religious tolerance
- There must be promotion of discipline and the reward for hard work.
Characteristics of a United Society
- There must be social cohesion and cooperation.
- All interest are geared towards the societal goals and objectives.
- There must be peace and stability
- There must be leaders with political will
- The people must be law abiding citizens
- There must be peace progress and development
Benefits of National Unity
- National unity promote hard work of citizens to service/duties
- There will be economic development foreign investment.
- It will promote social, economic and political development.
- A united nation would have adequate security for its citizens (there will be protection of lives and property)
- It promotes fundamental human rights and the promotion of rule of law
Institutions that promote national Unity
There are many organisations and institutions established by the government, individuals and groups that promote unity in the country. Examples are:
- The Boy Scout Movement (formed in 1907)
- The Red Cross Society
- Unity Schools (Primary, secondary, tertiary institutions)
- Religious Institutions
- The National Youth service Corps
- National Sport Festivals/Competition
- The Nigeria Defense Academy (1964)
- General Hospitals.
- Mention 3 factors that promote national unity.
State the features of a united society