Table of Contents
Integration is the process through which different parts come together to function as a whole. Nigeria as a country with over 250 ethnic groups functioning together as one is an example of integration. Without unity, not even a two thing can function.
Needs for National Unity and Integration
- Nigeria is made up of more than 250 ethnic groups with varying cultures.
- Each of the ethnic groups had lived separately for centuries before the British Rulers brought them together.
- For Nigeria to develop, she needs to come together for every member to have a common sense of belonging
- The country can only witness development if there is adequate security.
- Foreign investors will establish industries when they are convinced that properties will not be destroyed either because of political, religious or ethnic crises.
- Define integration.
- What is the relevance of unity or integration?
Importance of National Unity and Integration
- National integration promotes peace and harmony in a society.
- It reduces areas of conflicts among different groups.
- National unity and integration ensure security of lives and properties of citizens from internal and external attacks.
- If there is national unity and integration, the resources in different ethnic groups could be jointly exploited and enjoyed.
- It allows Nigerians to live and work together in any part of the country.
- It promotes a sense of brotherhood and love among different cultures.
- Explain three importance of National unity and integration.
- Give an example of a resource in an ethnic exploited and enjoyed by all.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- List 15 ethnic groups in Nigeria.
- Give four resources from Nigeria that are jointly exploited and enjoyed by all.
- State two needs for national integration.
- State four characteristics of Secondary Social Group.
- In what way is the uniqueness of Nigerian culture seen.
- All but one of the following promotes unity in Nigeria NYSC B. Nigeria Defence Academy C. Unity Schools D. Ethnic Militia.
- National unity and integration is needed in Nigeria because it is easy B. other countries have done such C. it facilitates a sense of belonging for every group D. of the traditional political system
- The following are the necessities of integration except to reduce conflict B. to promote political development C. to promote peace and harmony D. to promote cultural superiority.
- Integration is necessary in Nigeria to avoid growth B. conflict C. peace D. fairness
- The act of different group of people working together in harmony so as to achieve common goal is called association B. national pledge C. integration D. national symbols.
- The following are importance of national unity and integration except ____ A. achieving societal goals attracting foreign investment C. economic growth D. tarnishing societal image E. tourism attraction (NECO 2015 Q43)
- The following are factors that hinder the economic development in Nigeria except ____A. corruption
- due process C. insurgency D. pipeline vandalism E. poor leadership
- What is National integration?
- List four importance of National integration