METHODS OF COOKING
What is cooking?
– Cooking is a process of preparing food by applying heat.
– Discuss reasons for cooking food.
– Identify different methods of cooking.
– State general rules for different methods of cooking.
Why do we cook food?
– To improve flavour or taste of food.
– To improve appearance and make it more appealing.
– To kill germs and parasites hence making it safe for human consumption.
– To preserve it.
– To make it tender/ soft, hence easy to chew, digest and absorb.
– To improve the texture.
Factors that Determine Methods of Cooking
– Type of food to be cooked.
– Personal taste/ preference.
– Person being cooked for.
– Time available.
– Cooking equipment available.
– Number of people to be served.
– Amount of money available.
There are two main categories of methods of cooking namely:
– Those that use moist heat
– Those that use dry heat
– Moist Methods