KITCHEN UTENSILS AND EQUIPMENT
Kitchen equipment and utensils are very important for food storage, preparation and cooking. Small kitchen tools such as knives and forks are called utensils while the large ones such as cookers and deep freezer are known as equipment.
POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING KITCHEN EQUIPMENT AND UTENSILS
- The specific use of the equipment
- The money available for the purchase of the item
- The durability of the equipment
- The space available in the home for storage of the home
- The needs of the family
- It should be able to save labour, times and money
- It should be easy to use
- It should be easy to care for
- The size of the family
TYPES OF KITCHEN UTENSILS
- Measuring utensils: these are used to measure ingredients for food preparation. They include:
- Dry measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cups
- Measuring spoons.
- Mixing equipment and utensils: used to blend and mix ingredient e.g mixing bowls, mixing spoons, whisks, hard grinder
- Cutting and chopping utensils: used for cutting and chopping food into smaller pieces, they include knives, cutting/chopping boards, peelers, kitchen shears, and graters.
- Other kitchen utensils include colanders, strainers, spatula, turner, tongs, cooking forks, cooking spoons, cooking pots, frying pans, sauce pans e.t.c.
TYPES OF KITCHEN EQUIPMENT/APPLIANCES
The kitchen appliances are those pieces of equipment powered by either gas or electricity. There are small and large kitchen appliances.
- Small kitchen appliances: these can be moved easily from one place to another e.g. toaster, hand-held mixer, blender, food processor, electric frying pan e.t.c.
- Large kitchen appliances: these are major kitchen equipment. they are mostly fixed and once installed, they are not usually move from one place to another. They include microwave ovens, deep freezer, gas cooker, refrigerator e.tc.
GENERAL CARE OF KITCHEN EQUIPMENT AND UTENSILS
- Each piece of kitchen equipment and utensils has to be used correctly to obtain the best results
- Follow the manufacturer’s manual for the use and care of each equipment
- Preserve the manual as long as the equipment is in use
- Repair appliances and utensils promptly.
Assignment: state five guidelines for the use of refrigerator.
- food preparation
- food preparation worker
- food preparation crossword
- food preparation sink
- food preparation gloves
- food preparation definition
- food preparation equipment must be
- food preparation terms
- food preparation certificate
- food preparation techniques
- kitchen utensils and equipment
- kitchen utensils and equipment word search
- kitchen utensils and equipment near me
- kitchen utensils and equipment and their uses
- kitchen utensils and equipment names
- kitchen utensils and equipment materials
- kitchen utensils and equipment commonly found in the kitchen
- kitchen utensils and equipment list
- kitchen utensils and equipment ppt
- kitchen utensils and equipment with meaning
BUYING, PRESERVATION AND STORAGE OF FOOD
NUTRITIONAL NEEDS OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY