ACTIVITIES OF DRUG LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
There are two major agencies in Nigeria responsible for drug management and control. These agencies are NDLEA and NAFDAC.
a) National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA): This agency was established by Decree 48 of January 1990. The agency has its officials positioned in strategic places such as international airports, seaports and borders. This is to ensure that there is elimination of importation and exportation of uncertified drugs and other consumables in the country.
FUNCTIONS OF NDLEA
- To ensure eradication of illicit cultivation and demand for narcotic plants across the country.
- To eliminate the root causes of the production and consumption of narcotic plants.
- To promote effective enforcement of drug laws in the country.
- To coordinate all preventive measures against illegal dealings in drugs.
- To prosecute drug law offenders.
- Why is drug law enforcement agency necessary in the society?
- Mention four functions of NDLEA.
- b) National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC): This agency was established by Decree 15 of 1993 but was officially recognized January 1, 1994.
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
- Regulation of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc.
- Inspection of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc for quality assurance.
- Ensures laboratory test of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc and certify them for consumption.
- Investigation of raw materials and production center where foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc are produced.
- Registration of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, medical appliances, etc
ACTIVITIES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES IN NIGERIA
- Detection of fake and expired drugs.
- Burning of substandard drugs, cosmetics, etc.
- Detection of drug traffickers.
- Arrest of drug traffickers.
- Confiscation of smuggled food and drugs items.
- Prosecution of drug traffickers.
- Destruction of plantation of illegal drugs.
- Public enlightenment campaign.
- What is the full meaning of NAFDAC?
- Mention five activities of law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
- What is civic education?
- What are the goals of civic education?
- Define rule of law
- Identify three factors that can promote rule of law in a state
- List five functions of the executive organ of government
Activities of Law Enforcement Agencies in Nigeria: Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, Sola Akinyemi
Instruction: From the options lettered A-D, choose the letter that is most appropriate for the following questions. Answer all the questions.
- NDLEA was established in A. 1963 B. 1990 C. 2000 D. 1993
- Which of the following Nigerian is associated with NAFDAC? A. Obi Ezekwesili B. OkonjoIweala C. KachukwuIbe D. Dora Akunyili
- NAFDAC was formally recognized inA. 1994 B. 2004 C. 1960 D. 1990
- The regulation of foods and drugs in Nigeria is the primary assignment of A. NDA B. INEC C. BPE D. NAFDAC
- Fake and expired drugs in Nigeria areA. sold off B. burnt C. thrown into river D. consumed
- Explain four major functions of NDLEA.
- Discuss three major problems of law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
- drug law enforcement agencies
- drug law enforcement agencies in india
- drug law enforcement agencies are not empowered to
- drug law enforcement agencies in the world
- drug law enforcement agencies logo
- drug law enforcement agencies in nigeria
- drug law enforcement agency the gambia
- drug law enforcement agency recruitment
- 5 drug law enforcement agencies
- 10 drug law enforcement agencies in nigeria