CALL TO OBEDIENCE: ABRAHAM
When man ‘fell’, his first relationship with God was no longer cordial. He was cast out or driven out without a divine and spiritual partner. Disobedience alienated man from God. Nonetheless, God in his infinite mercy wanted Man to come into a new relationship with Him. Hence, God saw in Abraham one, who would act as His agent, to bring about this new relationship
We can define obedience as doing what one is asked to do in the right way without hesitation. In this regard obedience entails accepting and acting on commands from the higher authourity due to respect and regard one has for the constituted authourity. This command has to be right and virtuous before it can be obeyed.
We can as well deduce that call to obedience is an invitation from God to man to obey and follow certain instructions in order to achieve divine purposes.
ABRAHAM –RESPONDING FAITHFULLY TO GOD’S CALL
God called Abraham when he was seventy-five years old. God told him to go to a land that he would show to him. God promised to make him a great nation, to give him a great name and to bless him and Abraham obeyed. This was how he became a friend of God and the father of many nations.
Abraham did not go alone; he did not leave anything and anyone behind. He took everything he had; his wife Sarah, Lot his brother’s son and all the substance that they had gathered in Haran and they went forth to the land of Canaan
Abraham also demonstrated absolute trust in God by responding faithfully to God’s call when God told him to sacrifice his beloved son to Him. Abraham did not hesitate in his obedience to God. He moved to sacrifice Isaac but God stopped him and made provision for the sacrifice by giving him a ram to offer as a sacrifice.
- Describe Abraham’s response to God’s call.
- Discuss the qualities of Abraham.
- Explain how God tempted Abraham.
- Why did Abraham obey God to this extent?
- What was the reaction of Isaac to his father’s obedience?
- Explain how God rewarded Abraham for his total absolute obedience.
 Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1-3 by A.F Bello.Page;33-34
 Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1,by T.N.O Quarcoopome eta’l .Page;15-20
 The Holy Bible RSV Bible Reading Gen 25:17-34; 27: 1-46
- How old was Abraham when God called him? (a) 75 (b) 70 (c) 60
- God told him to leave his country; what was the name of his country (a) Haran (b) Nain (c) Canaan
- God saw in Abraham the following qualities except (a) faith (b) Trust (c) slothfulness.
- Abram was prompt in obeying God. True or false
- Abram went alone. True or false
(1) What lessons have you learnt from the obedience of Abraham?
(2) Discuss the quality in faith, trust and courage in the life of Abram.