Antonyms are words that have opposite meanings. Antonyms also add variety to your writing.
Examples: Cold-hot heavier – lighter fearful – brave.
Some words have more than one antonym.
Some of these antonyms can be formed by adding a prefix to a base word.
Examples: Kind – cruel, unkind like – hate, dislike
Examples of common antonyms in English
Give the antonyms of the following words:
- Easy 6. Sweat
- Whisper 7. Stationary
- Triumph 8. Strengthen
- Dull 9. Precious
- Dangerous 10. Naked
- Easy – hard 6. Sweet – sour
- Whisper – yell 7. Stationary – mobile
- Triumph – fail 8. Strength – weaken
- Dull – interesting 9. Precious – worthless
- Dangerous – safe 10. Naked – clothed