Advertising may be defined as business term or means or bringing the existence of new and old products in the market to the knowledge of the consumers. It is the process by which members of the public are informed about available goods in the market.
Importance/functions of Advertising
- Advertising provides information about the goods in the market
- It enlightens the members of the public about the usefulness of the products
- It creates awareness
- It helps the producer to promote the sales of the products
- It directs potential consumers to where they can easily get the product
- It helps in publicizing brand names
Media Of Advertising
The media of advertising are:
- Window display
- Sales Van
- TELEVISION – this is through audio/visual one in which the people can see the image of the product and be educated on the usefulness of the product.
- NEWSPAPER – advertising the dailies which usually published daily e.g. The Sun, The Punch, Alaroye, Nigerian Tribune etc
- RADIO – this is very common in Nigeria. It is an audio means of advertising. Almost everybody can afford to buy a radio.
- WINDOW DISPLAY – goods are displayed through the window to attract potential buyers
- CINEMA – some companies/people move from one place to another show the pictures of the real products. It can also be screen before film show or at an internal during film show.
- BILLBOARD – billboard resembles that of sticker but they are not the same. Billboard is mounted on solid structures at junction, roundabout, stadium, in order to display some important information.
- SALES VAN – this is a means in which people make use of motor van that is equipped with radio and loud speakers to transmit their messages about the products to the buyers through the sales representatives.
- POSTERS AND LEAFLETS – these contain description, location, address, quality and other information about the products. Posters are used in an open air places e.g. gates, markets etc, while leaflets are distributed either in the market or from house to house or in a public arena.
- MAGAZINES/JOURNALS – this is directed to some group of people. It is printed for circulation weekly, forthnightly or monthly. It is more expensive than newspaper because it is usually printed in coloured.
FORMS/TYPES OF ADVERTISING
- Informative advertising
- Persuasive advertising
- Competitive advertising
- Direct advertising
- Indirect advertising
- INFORMATIVE ADVERTISING – informative is carried out for the purpose of informing the members or the public about newly available goods in the market.
- PERSUASIVE ADVERTISING – this appeal to customers to patronise a particular product e.g. buy multi-active OMO instead of other detergents.
- COMPETITIVE ADVERTISING – it encourages the customers to buy a product of a particular brand. The similar products maybe available.
- DIRECT ADVERTISING – it is usually focused on a particular group of people e.g. students, graduates and workers.
- INDIRECT ADVERTISING – is a type of advert that focuses on everybody.
ADVANTAGES OF ADVERTISING
- It helps to increase the sales of goods
- It may lead to mass production
- It creates awareness in the mind of customers
- It provides job opportunity for people
- It helps people to make a choice from the available products
- Advertising at times creates confusion in the mind of customers.
- It may be wasteful if not well handled
- The cost may be too expensive
- It may lead to the loss of company’s profit.
- Respect truthfulness
- Respect the dignity of each human
- Respect social responsibilities
Exercise: Describe some media for Advertising.