ACHIEVEMENTS AND PROBLEMS OF ECOWAS
ACHIEVEMENTS OF ECOWAS
- The body has removed all customs duties in the areas of importation and exportation of goods within the sub-region.
- Member states cooperate in the areas of sports and culture.
- ECOWAS has helped to unite the people of member nations irrespective of the differences in ideology, beliefs and so on.
- Formation of ECOMOG: ECOMOG was formed through ECOWAS to help maintain peace in the sub-region and it helped to restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- Member states of ECOWAS spoke against Apartheid in South Africa and neo-colonialism.
- The organization helped in removing all administrative restrictions on trade within the sub-region.
- Member states mediate in disputes among states, e.g. Nigeria and Chad, Liberia, Sierra Leone and so on.
- The body has eliminated obstacles to movements of persons, services and capital within the sub-region.
PROBLEMS OR WEAKNESSES OF ECOWAS
- Language barrier: Member states of ECOWAS do not speak the same language.
- Free movement: The free movement as provided by the Charter of ECOWAS is no longer automatic.
- Different Ideology: Difference in ideology hinders the progress of the organization.
- Common currency: The organization does not have a common currency.
- Political instability: Frequent change in government of some countries hinders the successful operation of the organization.
- Poor transportation and communication: These are some of the problems facing the organization
- Similarity of products: Member states of ECOWAS manufacture similar products which makes trade among ECOWAS states difficult.
- Fear of domination: Smaller states within the ECOWAS sub-region are afraid of being dominated by the larger states.
- Shortage of fund: Most member states of ECOWAS do not pay their dues which hinders the organization form executing its projects.
- Colonial masters: The political and economic activities of member states are tied to that of their former colonial master. So, their first loyalty goes to their former colonial masters not to ECOWAS.
SUBSCRIBE BELOW FOR A GIVEAWAY
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓