What is Word Processor?
This is the act of typing, editing and printing of textual or graphical information using a word processor. Word processor is a software package used on microcomputers with processing power that allow text editing and production of report and documents.
This is a written printed or online document that present data, inform of an article, letter, memorandum, report etc. Word processing can be performed either electronically or mechanically. Electronic word processing is the use of computer device. Mechanically running appropriate word processing software to process documents. Mechanical word processing is the use of typewriter in word processing.
Examples of Word Processors
- Microsoft word
- Word Craft
- Page Maker
- Word Pad
- Word Perfect
- Sun Star Office
- Professional Write
- UPS Word
Features of a Word Processor
Word processors vary considerably but all word processors support the following basic features.
- Insert Text: This is a feature that allows you to insert text in anywhere in the document.
- Delete Text: This allows you to erase characters, words, lines of pages easily
- Cut and Paste: This is a feature that allows you to remove or cut a section of text and insert (paste) it somewhere else in the document.
- Copy: This allows you to duplicate a section of text
- Page, Size and margine: It allows you to define various page sizes and margine, and the word processor will automatically read readjust so that it fits.
- Search and replace: It allows you to direct word processor to search for a particular word or phrase, you can used direct the word processor to replace group of character with another anywhere that the first group appears.
- Word wrap: The word processor automatically moves to the next line will readjust the text if you change margine.
- Print: Allows you to send a document to a printer to get hardcopy
- Font specification: this allows you to change fonts within a document
- Graphics: Allow you to embed illustrates and graphics into documents.
- Thesaurus: Allows you to search for synonyms without leaving word processor
- Windows: Allows you to edit two or more document at the same time.
- File Management capabilities: Allows you to create, delete, move and search for files
- Footnote and cross reference
- Spell checker
- Table of content and index
- Headers, footers and page numbering
- WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)
MEDIUM OF INFORMATION TRANSMISSION
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other eLearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate