Values is the actual worth of a thing in monetary terms. Values can be seen as the importance that we attach to a thing. Society values refers to the norms, standards and principles which the society expects from people living in it.
Forms of values
- Moral values: This has to do with conduct and disciplined behaviour.
- Economic value: This is the effort of an individual to earn a living through economic activities
- Social value: This is our pattern of behaviours
- Political value: This involves leadership and good governance
- Individual virtue: This is the belief and faith to survive and succeed in life.
Importance of values
- Values directs our behaviour and our relationship with others.
- Values increases good behaviour and feeling
- Values brings happiness and satisfaction when we live by it.
- Values enhances self-esteem
- Value gives a sense of fulfilment and contentment.
Community and societal values
- Patriotism (good citizenship)
- Justice and equity
- Good road and other social amenities
- Good educational institutions
- Good morals
- Adequate health care delivery system
- Love, peace and cooperation
- Honesty, fairness and transparency
Factors that promotes good values
- Consistency – this is being regular and unchanging in our behaviour.
- Tolerance – this is accepting and respecting other people’s opinion and belief.
- Trust – this is belief in someone or something
- Fairness – this is being just and rational.
- What is value?
- Explain the importance of values in our society
Students also read:
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate