Table of Contents
Meaning of Family Size
Family size means the number of people in a family. A family is said to have small size if it comprises father, mother and few (usually one to four) children. A large family size is made of father, mother and more than four children.
Characteristics of Large Family Size
The nature of a large family size can be easily explained under the following headings:
Summarily, large family size has the following characteristics:
- It consists of father, mother, brothers, nephews, and many children.
- Members of the family live a subsistence life because of its size. They engage in primary activities to be able to feed the family.
- Members of the family might not be bond together in love because they are not of the same mother.
- The upkeep of the family is the joint responsibilities of every members of the family.
- Health status of a larger family is always affected especially where there is an outbreak of diseases.
- It consists of a large number of people.
A large family – an extended family
Small Family Size
A small family size is the one that has father, mother and few children.
Characteristics of Small Family Size
The following are the characteristics of small family size:
- It consists of small number of people.
- Members of the small family know one another very well.
- There is love and harmony in small family size.
- Any problem that arise in a small family is quickly resolved because of its manageable size.
- They are blood related.
- Members of small family size has strong feelings for one another. Any happening concerns everybody in the family.
A small family – a nuclear family
- Explain the concept: “large family size”.
- Explain the concept: “small family size”
- Write 5 characteristics of large family size.
- Write 5 characteristics of small family size.
- Which of the family size is preferable, and why?
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate