Table of Contents
The skin is the outer covering of the body. It performs very important function, it is necessary to understand the structure of the skin and how to take care of it. The skin is made up of two main layers, viz:
- The Epidermis: this is the outer layer; it has no blood vessel or nerves. It is covered with hair and tiny holes called sweat pores. Sweat passes out through the pores.
- The Dermis: this is the inner layer of the skin. It is made up of the following:
- Sweat gland which produce sweat
- Oil gland which produces oil that keeps the skin and hair soft and fresh.
- Blood vessels and nerves which keep the skin healthy and help it to perform its functions
- Fat deposit which reduce heat loss from the body.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SKIN
- It protects the body from bacterial infection (germs), poor weather and injury
- It helps to keep the body temperature normal
- It helps the body to get rid of waste product through sweating
- It also keeps the body warm in cold weather
- When the sun shines on the skin, vitamin D is produced by the body.
CARE OF THE SKIN
- Wash your whole body daily and more than once
- Do not use a bleaching cream
- Use mild skin cream and oil
- Always have a bath after serious game or exercise to avoid body odour
- Avoid using other people’s towel and clothes
- Use good toilet soap, soft sponge and clean water
TYPES OF SKIN
- Normal skin
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin (i.e oil and dry skin)
- Mention four functions of the skin
- list the types of skin
Draw and label the structure of the skin
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate