Characteristic of a written speech
- Formal Salutation (vocatives); There is always an audience to be addressed. In formal situations, people are usually appointed to perform one function or the other. Social ethics demand that you recognize and accord due respect to those at the high table and other dignitaries present at the occasion.
- The use of personal pronouns; the speaker often personalizes his speech by the use of personal pronouns such A I, you, we, he, etc. Which reflects actual speech?
- Use of short forms; Speeches are often characterized by the use of short forms of words and sentences E.g. Sam (for Samuel), I’m ( I am) can’t (cannot) don’t (do not)
- Introducing the Topic: After the salutation, the next logical thing to do is to introduce your topic. Whatever, your topic is, try to introduce it in an interesting manner, showing in one way other that you hold your audience in high esteem, and that you are competent to handle the topic.
- Developing the Topic: Logical sequencing of ideas and coherent presentation are value highly in speech making.
- Concluding your Speech: The concluding paragraph of your written speech should be rounded off in a neat way so as to reflect your entire speech.
Sample Question: As the new senior prefect of your school, write a farewell speech meant to be delivered at the graduation ceremony of the outgoing SS 3 students.
A FAREWELL SPEECH BY PETER OJOTA DURING THE GRADUATION CEREMONY OF THE SS 3 STUDENT IN THE SCHOOL HALL ON 20TH JUNE, 2020.
The Honourable Commissioner of Education,
Our Dear Parents,
Worthy Graduating Students,
Paragraph 1 – Appreciate the privilege of being permitted to speak, explain the importance of the ceremony, and state your purpose.
Paragraph 2 – Commend the graduating students for going through the rigors of years in SSS.
Paragraph 3 – Remind them of the lessons of hard work, determination, uprightness, etc
Paragraph 4 – Inform them of the world outside school and future hurdles like JAMB exams, Campus life, dangers of new found liberty.
Paragraph 5 – Counsel them on the need to choose the path of being academic, social and moral high achievers.
Paragraph 6 – Conclude by thanking the audience for listening, thank the parents for their faith and support, Wish the graduating students success in life and hope for a safe journey back home for everyone.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓