MEANING OF SPACE TRAVEL
The space outside the sun, earth, star is called outer space. Space travel is the travelling to the outer space beyond this earth. The space travellers are called astronaut. The earth is surrounded by a layer of air called atmosphere which can be divided into about 4 regions:
Since 1957, man has been travelling to the space to find out what happens there. The meaning of space travel is, going to the moon or planets or orbiting the earth in a special craft called spaceship. Spaceship is moved by rockets. After leaving the earths atmosphere, gravity no longer pulls the spaceship to the earth.
The astronauts wear special dress called suits and it help them to maintain the earths atmospheric pressure around the body throughout in space. They also carry dry foods and oxygen masks.
- State the four divisions of atmosphere
- (a) Who are astronauts? (b) Why do astronauts wear suits?
PURPOSE OF SPACE TRAVEL
- It helps to watch everything that is happening in the world on the television e.g. football game, basket ball game etc. at the same time the events are being carried out.
- Space exploration is the use of astronomy and space technology to explore outer space
- Space travel is because of mans curiosity, it is a desire to find out the nature of life in other planets.
- The need for more knowledge of the climate and vegetation of the earth is another reason for space travel.
- The landing of equipment called satellite in space has also led to the improvement in communication all over the world e.g. using of telephone.
- Give four purpose of space travel.
- How are scientists the main people behind space travel?
BENEFITS AND DANGERS OF SPACE TRAVEL, BENEFITS OF SPACE TRAVEL
- The main benefit is the collection of scientific information about the earth and the other planets.
- Production of special computers.
- Production of photographic equipment such as x-ray and gamma-ray.
- Production of telecommunication equipment.
- Production of remote sensing equipment to guide spacecrafts e.g. rocket
- Production of rocket or aircraft fuels.
- What are the main benefits of space travel?
- List four other benefits of space travel.
DANGERS OF SPACE TRAVEL
Space travel is risky. If anything goes wrong, one or more lives will be lost.The dangers of space travel can be caused by the following problems:
- Explosion of rockets at the launch time
- Failure of some necessary equipment in the spaceship to function well.
- Inability of the rocket to reach escape velocity
- Wrong calculation of angle, speed and time of launching
- Explosion of rockets in flight
The problems of space travel include some of these
Astronauts have to be trained in order to adopt to the high speed of space travel
There are lot of calculations involved before a spaceship can be launched correctly at an angle, speed and time to arrive at its destination
LOSS OF WEIGHT
The force of gravity is not felt in space, therefore it is very difficult for astronauts to stand or walk as they do on earth.
BASIC NEED OF LIFE
Water, oxygen, food etc must be made available in spaceship.
Rockets require escape velocity to escape from the attraction of the earth or the force of gravity.
- State five dangers of space travel.
- What are the problems of space travel ?
- State the four divisions of atmosphere.
- Who are astronauts?
- Why do astronauts wear suits?
- State five dangers of space travel.
- What are the problems of space travel?
- Space suit is used by ____ A. carpenters B. chemist C. astronauts D. doctors.
- The following are the various division of atmosphere except A. lithosphere
- troposphere C. lomosphere D. exosphere.
- Which of the following is associated with space travel A. Basic need of life B. tarred road C. electricity D. standard laboratory.
- The escape velocity is used by rocket to ____ A. overcome the force of gravity B. escape from danger C. hide from enemies D. speed faster and disappear.
- The force of gravity is not felt in ____ A. space B. earth C. moon D. sun.
- Explain the space travel.
- a. State three purposes of space travel.
- Describe the problem of space travel.
- Which do you consider the greatest benefits of space travel ?