Nutrients are found in the variety of foods that we eat. We have six types of food from where we get all nutrients.
TYPES OF FOOD
- Carbohydrates:Energy giving foods, made up of sugars or starches. Examples are yam, banana, cassava, maize, rice.
- Protein:make us grow, strong and repair the body. Examples are Beans, fish, egg.
- Fat: also gives us energy for work and play.it keeps us warm. Examples are Palm oil, Soy oil, Margarine, vegetable oil.
- Vitamins:it protect us from diseases. Examples are fruits, corn.
- Minerals:help to form strong bones and teeth. Examples are Milk, meat vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and starchy vegetables.
- Water:it carries other nutrients to all parts of the body and helps to remove wastes from the body.
NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCY DISEASES
Nutritional diseases are illness that happen as a result of inadequate, poor diet.
Inadequate and poor diet causes various diseases like:
- KWASHIORKOR:it is cause by eating mostly carbohydrate food. The person lack food that contains protein, vitamin C, iodine and folic acid
- RICKETS:it is the softening of bones in children due to deficiency in vitamin D, magnesium, calcium.
- PELLAGRA:it is a vitamin deficiency disease caused by lack of niacin (Vitamin B3) in the diet. Not eating enough vegetables, sea foods, meat and egg can also cause PELLAGRA.
- SCURVY:happens when there is deficiency of Vitamin C (fruits and vegetables).
- BERIBERI:caused by thiamin (Vitamin B) and excessive intake of alcohol.
- ANEMIA:it occurs when the red blood cells are unable to carry enough to the body cell. It is caused by lack of vegetables, eggs, liver and meat.
- DIABETICS:it happens when the blood glucose level is higher than normal.it can be prevented by living a healthy life style.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Teacher welcomes pupils questions
- Teacher evaluates the pupils
- What is Balanced diet?
- List the six kinds of food from which we can select the foods we eat daily.
- What is a nutritional disease?
- List three deficiency diseases.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓