Needs of the Sick at Home
The sick at home have various needs such as:
- Physical needs
- Nutritional needs
- Emotional needs
- Social needs
- Spiritual needs
The physical needs of the sick at home may be met by ensuring the following:
- Clean room, clean clothes and body, clean bedding
- Well ventilated room
- Appropriate furniture
- Physical exercises
- Administering drugs as prescribed by the doctor
- Changing position for a bed ridden patient to avoid bed sores
The patient should be provided with a balanced diet.
- Plenty of proteins
- Plenty of vegetables and fruits
- Small amounts of carbohydrates
- Little or no fats
- A lot of fluids
This is giving hope and encouragement to the patient.
This can be shown through; hugging; giving flowers, gifts, cards; counseling; and engaging them in conversation.
Sick people feel lonely and would appreciate the company of loved ones. However the number of visitors should be limited to give the patient time to rest.
Most people believe in a supernatural being upon whom they rely on in times of need.
In sickness every patient should be allowed to exercise their faith.
This can be achieved through:
- Visit from spiritual leaders
- Reading of the Holy Book
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓