A sewing machine is a large sewing equipment designed to make stitches.
It makes sewing quicker and more efficient.
It is a simple machine to operate as it is done manually at the speed of the person operating.
It is portable and easy to carry.
Balance wheel is rotated by hand.
One hand rotates the hand wheel while the other guides the material.
The following shows the working of a hand machine: Treadle Machine
– Feet rotate the hand wheel
– Both hands are free to guide the work
– Bulky and hence takes up a lot of storage space
– A motor can be fixed onto it to make it electric
– Treadle Machine
The following shows the working of a treadle machine:
– Balance wheel is rotated using electricity.
– Very fast because both hands are free to guide the work.
– Expensive to purchase.
– Some are portable and others are very bulky.
The following shows the working of an electric machine:
– Parts of a Sewing Machine
– Choosing a sewing machine
– Consider the cost in relation to the work.
– Consider the machine in relation to its work, that is, do not buy a domestic machine for commercial purposes.
– Buy from a reliable dealer who will be able to service and supply spare parts.
– Machine should have an instruction manual.
Care of the sewing machine
Ensure servicing of machines regularly.
Store the machine while covered to avoid dust from entering.
Clean and oil it regularly.
Learners should use the machine under supervision.
Do not machine over pins to avoid breaking the needle.