Table of Contents
SEWING MACHINE FAULTS, CAUSES AND REMEDIES
|1.||Upper thread breaking||Machine not properly threaded, needle bent or blunt||Thread machine properly check the machine needle and change it if bent or blunt.|
|2.||Lower thread breaking||i)Tension too tight
ii) Improper threading of button case of shuttle.
|Check / regulate the tension, thread the bobbin case properly.|
|3.||Breaking needle||Using the needle on heavy||Use appropriate / correct size of needle, check bent / blunt needle.|
|4.||Skipping Stitches||Needle too small for the thread, needle not accurately set into the needle jar, needle bent or blunt.||Use accurate or correct size of needle, set the needle properly unto the needle bar.|
|5.||Noisy Treadle||If the treadle is noisy, the crew on which it is piloted is loose.||Tighten the crew|
|6.||Machine work heavily||The machine belt maybe too tight, the machine is gummed and needs general cleaning the belt may also be too loose and slip on the balance wheel causing the operator to treadle more than necessary,||Loosen machine belt give the machine a thorough cleaning; check to see if the belt needs tightening.|
What is fullness?
Fullness in clothing construction means the provision of extra allowance in the garment. This fullness can be created on controlled using darts, tucks, gutter and pleats.
TYPES OF FULLINESS
They are tapered folds of fabric and they are stitches on the wrong side of a good.
- They control fullness.
- They turn fabric into shapes to fit to human figure.
- They help to give a good fitting and shape to the finished garment.
They are special stitched folds made in garments. The fold is formed on the right side of the garment.
USES OF TUCKS
- To provide extra width
- To decorate a garment s a style feature.
- They can be used to hide a join in the fabric.
- Gathers: They are small, soft folds made is garment they are commonly used in children’s clothes, making light weight skirts.
- Pleats: is a fold of material designed to give extra width in garments. Pleats are used mainly on tailored skirts, dress skirts and shirts giving fullness in wear.
Openings are features in garments. They help us to put on and take off our clothes. There are different kinds of openings. They can also be used to decorate the garment.
TYPES OF OPENINGS
- Continuous wrap opening: This is a short opening; it can be fastened with hook and eye, buttons and button holes and press studs.
- Faced slit opening: It can be used for front or back neck openings, wrist cuff openings on long sleeves sit into a band.
Fastenings are devices on things attached to the openings.
- Press studs
- Hooks and eye / bars
- Buttons and loops
- Buttons and button hole
- Eyelets and cards.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate