Meaning of Sewage and Refuse
Refuse refers to all solid wastes such as pieces of paper leaves, garbage, ashes and dead animals while sewage refers to liquid wastes such as urine, kitchen wastes or water from laundry.
Types of Sewage
There are basically three types of sewage, namely:
- Domestic Sewage
- Industrial Sewage
- Storm Sewage
Methods of Sewage Disposal
- Open dump
- Water system
- VIP latrine – Ventilated Improved Pit latrine
- Bucket latrine
- Pit-hole latrine
Methods of Refuse Disposal
- Open dump
Advantage: It is cheap to water system
Advantage: Decomposed materials (without toxic materials) may serve as fertilizers
Disadvantage: Turning may be laborious and odour offensive
There are modern and local ones and are of different types.
Advantage: Local technology can be used
Disadvantages: If not properly managed surrounding air may be polluted
- Sanitary land fills: An excavated or land depression area is needed wherein refuse gabage are thrown and covered up with solid or dust.
(i) It help to reclaim waste land
(ii) It does not require high technology
(iii) It is not expensive
Disadvantage: Land to be used may be difficult to come by.
- Differentiate sewage disposal from refuse disposal.
- What are the methods of sewage disposal?
- Why do you think open dump should not be recommended as a method of refuse disposal?
- What are the determinants of health?
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate