What is Scurvy?. Scurvy is a nutritional disorder which is common among people who rarely eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
Scurvy is caused by lack of Vitamin C which is found in fresh fruits and vegetables.
Vitamin C maintains the health of body mucous membranes and makes them resistant to infections.
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Unhealthy skin
- Weak and painful joints
- Anaemia may develop
- Blood in the stool and urine
- Slow healing of wounds
Eat foods rich in vitamin C such as citrus fruits, guavas and green leafy vegetables Goitre is characterized by swelling of the thyroid gland which is situated at the lower front part of the neck.
This disorder is caused by a deficiency of iodine in the diet.
- Enlarged thyroid gland
- Hypothermia (feeling cold)
- Dry and rough skin
- Lack of energy and fatigue
- Mother may give birth to a mentally handicapped child.
- Trembling and nervousness
- Bulging eyes
- Take a diet rich in iodine.
- Rickets This is a condition in which the bones become weak and deformed.
Causes of Scurvy
Rickets is a vitamin D, Calcium and Phosphorous deficiency disorder that mainly occurs in children.
- Weakness of bones which is characterized by bow-legs or knock-knees.
- Poor development of teeth.
- Eat a diet rich in calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D.
- Expose the body to sunshine.
- Eat foods fortified with Vitamin D e.g. margarine.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓