Table of Contents
RIGHTS & DUTIES OF CITIZENS
Rights are legal entitlements enjoyed by people as guaranteed by law. These rights are also called the fundamental human rights. Human rights have their origin with the United Nations in 1948 which is termed Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Every member (nation) that is a member of the U.N. must abide and implement the principle in their national constitution.
Duties are functions which citizens perform towards the country (government and their fellow men). They are legal and moral expectations from every citizen towards their government (so that their government can maintain peace and protect the welfare of citizens).
The types of rights include:
Political rights, Economic rights, civil rights and natural rights.
Duties of citizens include:
- The protection of public property
- Fight against corruption and embezzlement
- Contributed to natural and community development
- Proper upbringing of children
- Loyalty to the government and nation
- Payment of taxes and levies (dues)
- Respecting the rights of other people
- Reporting criminal cases.
- Defend the country and promote democratic ideals (by participating in elections).
- Obeying rules and regulations.
Reasons why we obey laws and perform duties
- People obey laws because they have been educated and it has become habit.
- For fear of punishment, people, therefore obey laws and regulations.
- People obey law(s) because it is compulsory for them to do so.
- People obey laws so that peace, security and stability will be in the country
- It also acceptable by all region to obey the law of the land. Both Christian and Islamic religion enjoins their worshippers to obey their government.
- People obey law because it is a social contract which binds every citizen (as written in the constitution).
- What is right?
- Define duties of citizens
- What is the full meaning of U.N.O
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other eLearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate