Representative Democracy is a system of government in which people elect those that will rule over them in government. It is also a government in the majority of the people. Examples of countries that practice this system include: Ghana, Nigeria, Liberia, South Africa, U.S.A, Britain, France, Germany, Brazil, etc.
Features of Democracy
- There must be the existence of a constitution
- Rule of law must be in existence
- The rights of the people must be recognized
- There must be regular elections
- The Judiciary must be independent
- There must be party system
- There must be separation of power
- There must be fixed tenure of office
- The people’s right to evaluate the government activities.
- The electoral body e.g. INEC
- The political parties
- The pressure groups
- The various arms of government.
- Define representation democracy
- State five features of democracy
- Mention the democratic institution