Definition: The family is the smallest segment or unit of the larger society or nation made up of the husband, wife, and children. God created Adam and Eve and later their children.
THE NUCLEAR FAMILY: The nuclear family consists of a father wife or wives with or without children. It is simply called immediate or biological family. This is divided into a monogamous nuclear family and a polygamous nuclear family.
THE COMPOUND FAMILY: the compound family consists of some brothers, sisters and relatives with their wives and children living together in the family house or compound.
THE EXTENDED FAMILY: The extended family includes the grand parents, uncles, aunts, cousins and nephews. Members may live in the different communities, but they often come together during festivals, naming and burial ceremonies.
NUCLEAR EXTENDED COMPOUND
(1) What is family?
(2) Mention the different types of family.
THE ROLES OF MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY
According to the Bible, the husband is the head of the family. He is to love his wife and not be harsh on her and as well not to provoke his children. The wife and the children look up to him for love, sympathy and guidance. The husband is the law-maker. He is also to protect the interest of members of his family. The father is the bread winner of the family.
He provides money to cater for the needs of members of the family. He should ensure that the members are well fed, clothed and sheltered. He protects and defends members of the family and he disciplines the erring members. He ensures that the children get access to qualitative formal and informal education. He represents his family in the community. He makes rules and regulation to guide the conduct of the family and punishes offenders.
The wife according to the Bible is the help-mate to the husband. She should be submissive to her husband. She is to her husband what the church is to CHRIST. She should lay good examples for the children. The children are to obey their parents in the Lord. They are not to be provoked, children may face several problems if not loved and hence, lose their courage .They may be afraid which may prevent them from speaking out their mind.
(1) Identify the roles of a father in a family.
(2) State the attributes of a good family name.
 Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1-3 by A.F Bello.Page:27.
 Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1,by T.N.O Quarcoopome eta’l .Page: 15-20.
 Fundanmental of Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1, by A.E Osubele.Page:11.
- The first marriage institution was initiated by (a) Adam (b) Eve (c) God (d) Cain and Abel.
- The first family on earth was the family of __ (a) God (b) Adam and Eve (c) Cain and Abel.
- The type of the family of Adam and Eve was __ family. (a) Nuclear (b) Compound (c) Extended (d) None of the above.
- The type of the family of King Solomon was_______ type of family,(a) Polygamous (b) monogamous (c) Compound (d) extended
- According to St. Peter, the wife should ____ her husband. (a) love (b) submit to (c) dominate (d) be nagging to
- Mention three roles of the members of the family.
- Mention two things that can help to maintain a good family name.
JOSEPH RESPONDED TO THE CALL OF SERVICE