REASONS WHY ELIJAH FACED DANGER AND HOSTILITY AS A PROPHET OF GOD
At the end of the lesson, you should be able to:
- Explain why Elijah, faced hostility
- Show relevance of Elijah’s prophetic mission to Christianity today
It’s not easy for a person to oppose the government and its policies.
The person normally faces danger and hatred.
Elijah faced hostility from King Ahab, his wife Jezebel and the 450 prophets of Baal.
Elijah faced hostility because a. He pronounced a three years drought in Israel, which brought sufferings.
- He put to death 450 prophets of Baal.
- He boldly condemned king Ahab for taking away Naboth’s vineyard.
- He preached at a time when there was idolatry, and Baal was the official religion in Israel.
- He identified himself with Yahweh in the midst of prosecution of God’s prophets by Jezebel.
Relevance of Elijah’s prophetic mission to Christians today Lessons Christians learn from the life of Elijah
1) Elijah was courageous. Church leaders should remain courageous and condemn any form of social injustice.
2) Modern Christians learn to remain faithful to God through word and deed even if it would cost them their lives.
3) As God helped Elijah in difficult times he will also help the Christians hence they should not despair.
4) Elijah was a man of prayer Christians should pray to God always.
5) Christians should advocate for the rights of the poor and speak out against any form of oppression.
6) Christians should not give false evidence against their neighbours.
7) Christians should be persistent like Elijah was in their struggle against injustice.
God communicated with Elijah in a still small voice indicating his intimacy with the prophet.
This means that God is able to establish an intimate relationship with his faithful.
- a) Describe the qualities of Elijah that led to his achievements
- b) What is schism and syncretism
- c) What are some of the characteristics of Elijah that a modern Christian should strive to emulate?
- d) What are the effects of idolatry in Israel today?
- e) Describe Elijah’s fight against false religion in Israel
- f) Describe Elijah’s fight against corruption 1 kings 21
- g) What can Christians learn from the teachings of Elijah?