Meaning of Ratio
The relation between two quantities (both of the same units) obtained by dividing one quantity with another is called ratio. Ratio can be denoted by using the symbol ( : ).
What is the ratio between the weight two bags of sugar of 4kg and 6kg respectively?
Ratio of weights of bags of sugar = 4kg/ 6kg = 2/3 = 2:3
A pole of length 165cm is divided into two parts such that lengths are in the ration 7:8. Find the length of each part of the pole?
Total ratio = 7 + 8 = 15
First part = 7/15 , second part = 8/15
Length of first part = 7/15 of 165cm
= 7/15 × 165
= 7 x 11 = 77cm
1 x 1
Light of second part = 165cm – 77cm = 88cm
- A marker costs $18. Calculate the cost of 5 markers.
- A student went to the market to purchase textbooks. He purchased two textbooks for $24
- What is the price of one notebook?
- What would be the price of 5 such note
- If one marker = $18
5 markers = $18 x 5 = $90
- 2 textbooks = $24
1 textbook = m
2 × m = 1 x $24
2m = $24
M = $24 ÷ 2 = $12. Therefore 1 textbook = $24
(b) Since 1 textbook = $12
5 textbooks = $12 × 5 = $60
- What is ratio?
- Find the ratio of each of the following in its lowest terms:
- 24cm: 72cm
- 425km: 750km
- 75min: 150min
- 85kg: 102kg
- A field is 50m in length and 60m in width. Find the ratio between its width and length.
- A scooter can travel 225km with 5 litres of petrol. How many litres of petrol is needed to travel 675km?
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate