Meaning of Ratio
The relation between two quantities (both of the same units) obtained by dividing one quantity with another is called ratio. Ratio can be denoted by using the symbol ( : ).
What is the ratio between the weight two bags of sugar of 4kg and 6kg respectively?
Ratio of weights of bags of sugar = 4kg/ 6kg = 2/3 = 2:3
A pole of length 165cm is divided into two parts such that lengths are in the ration 7:8. Find the length of each part of the pole?
Total ratio = 7 + 8 = 15
First part = 7/15 , second part = 8/15
Length of first part = 7/15 of 165cm
= 7/15 × 165
= 7 x 11 = 77cm
1 x 1
Light of second part = 165cm – 77cm = 88cm
- A marker costs $18. Calculate the cost of 5 markers.
- A student went to the market to purchase textbooks. He purchased two textbooks for $24
- What is the price of one notebook?
- What would be the price of 5 such note
- If one marker = $18
5 markers = $18 x 5 = $90
- 2 textbooks = $24
1 textbook = m
2 × m = 1 x $24
2m = $24
M = $24 ÷ 2 = $12. Therefore 1 textbook = $24
(b) Since 1 textbook = $12
5 textbooks = $12 × 5 = $60
- What is ratio?
- Find the ratio of each of the following in its lowest terms:
- 24cm: 72cm
- 425km: 750km
- 75min: 150min
- 85kg: 102kg
- A field is 50m in length and 60m in width. Find the ratio between its width and length.
- A scooter can travel 225km with 5 litres of petrol. How many litres of petrol is needed to travel 675km?
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate