Portion control is referred to as the means of controlling the quantity or size of food or drinks to be sold to each guest. It helps in maximizing profit and cutting of excess loss in catering establishment.
FACTORS THAT DETERMINES PORTION SIZE
- Cost of the ingredient
- Price charged on menu
- Types of customers catered for
- Customer’s turnover
- Customer purchasing /bargaining power
- Types of menu and variety in the menu.
- Define portion control.
- Mention the factors that determine portion control.
METHODS OF PORTION CONTROL
- Standard recipe: the standard recipe prepared should be used be used regularly so as to bring about consistency in the weight and quantity of the portion prepared.
- Portion chart: the portion chart showing the standard portion of the dishes should be displayed to help in controlling size of the dishes.
- Comparing expected portion: this is done to ascertain if the portion served is adequate or not.
- Regular spot check: this is done by the supervisors or managers in other to ensure that the staff responsible for portioning the dishes does it with care since there are aware such checks will come up.
- Instructing staff on the correct use of portion control equipment: the members of staff concerned with the portioning should be trained and well educated on how it is correctly using the portioning equipment.
EQUIPMENT FOR PORTION CONTROL
- Ladles for soups and sauces
- Scales for measuring the weight of items
- Standard recipe chart
- Measuring jugs
- Slicing machine
- Soup plates
- Fruit juice glass
- Scoops for ice-cream or mashed potatoes
- Individual pie dishes, pudding basins.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Explain portion control.
- Mention five factors affecting menu planning
- List the factors influence meal planning.
- Mention and explain the parts of a bar
- List five reasons people eat out side.
READING ASSINGMENT: Read more on cost control (Catering and craft practice SS3 by Aminu Barikis Page 78-80).
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- The following are examples of method of portion control in catering establishments except (a) Order taking method (b) Standard recipe (c) Portion charts (d) Comparing expected portion.
- The following are portion control equipment except (a) Ladle (b) Scale (c) Measuring jug (d) Menu card.
- —— shows the standard portion of the dishes which is be displayed to help in controlling size of the dishes. (a) Standard recipe (b) portion chart (c) Regular sport check (d) Operational statistics.
- Control in catering establishments does the following except (a) Minimize wastage (b) reduces fraud (c) Bills are made correctly (d) Reduce the cash flow with the organization.
- Portion control cocktails——- (a) Wastage (b) Customers (c) Patronage (d) Sales.
- Mention three importance of portion control.
- Explain (a) portion chart (b) regular spot check (c) comparing expected portion
- portion control
- portion control containers
- portion control plates
- portion control for weight loss
- portion control diet
- portion control chart
- portion control band
- portion control bowls
- portion control belt
- portion control containers guide
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate