Diseases Caused by Pathogens
Pathogens are organisms that cause diseases. Majority of those organisms are micro – organisms which can only be seen by the microscopes.
Disease means illness or disorder of the body or mind. In other words, disease is a condition of abnormal function involving any structure, part or system of an organism.
Pathogens or Disease Causative agents
- Vector e.g. insects
Types of disease
- Communication diseases
- Non – Communication diseases
These are diseases that can be transmitted from one person to another.
Pathogens enter into the body
- Through the mouth or nose
- Through the intestine
- Through the skin
- Through the anus
Types of Communicable Disease
- Airborne disease
- Waterborne disease
- Contaminated foods disease
- Contagious/skin contact disease
- Animal/Insect bites disease
Examples of Communicable Disease
- Ring worm
- Small pox
- Whooping cough
- Typhoid/Yellow fever
- I.D.S etc.
- Name the two types of disease that exist.
- List the ways pathogens enter into our body.
- Mention the types of communicable disease.
Non – Communication diseases
Non – Communication diseases are diseases that cannot be transmitted from one person to another.
Examples of Non – communicable Disease
- Sickle cell anaemia
Diseases Preventive Measures
- Wash the hand properly before eating and after using the toilet
- Cook your foods well before eating e.g. pork and beef.
- Fresh fruits that are not cooked must be thoroughly washed with clean water
- Avoid moving near an infected persons e.g. cough and catarrh
- Always boil your water where treated water is not available.
- Keep your fingers clean and cut short your finger nails
- Avoid sharing personal belonging with others e.g. cups, combs, pants, singlet, towel, brush and others.
- Treat wounds and sores and never leave them exposed.
- Ensure good sanitation in and around the house.
- Fumigate your surroundings regularly.
- Explain the following terms:
- Mention any five disease causative agents.
- ____________ are micro-organisms that can cause disease Man B. Disease C. Pathogens D. None of the above
- The illness or disorder of the mind and body is called ___________ Disease B. Man
- Pathogens D. All of the above
- Pathogens can enter into the body through the following ways except ________ Nose B. Skin C. Intestine D. None of the above
- Diseases that can be spread from one person to another is called _________ communicable B. Non-communicable C. bacteria D. fungi
- Which of the following is not types of communicable diseases? Airborne disease
- Waterborne diseases C. Contaminated food diseases D. None of the above
- List out five examples of communicable disease.
- State any five preventive measures of diseases you know.