Diseases Caused by Pathogens
Pathogens are organisms that cause diseases. Majority of those organisms are micro – organisms which can only be seen by the microscopes.
Disease means illness or disorder of the body or mind. In other words, disease is a condition of abnormal function involving any structure, part or system of an organism.
Pathogens or Disease Causative agents
- Vector e.g. insects
Types of disease
- Communication diseases
- Non – Communication diseases
These are diseases that can be transmitted from one person to another.
Pathogens enter into the body
- Through the mouth or nose
- Through the intestine
- Through the skin
- Through the anus
Types of Communicable Disease
- Airborne disease
- Waterborne disease
- Contaminated foods disease
- Contagious/skin contact disease
- Animal/Insect bites disease
Examples of Communicable Disease
- Ring worm
- Small pox
- Whooping cough
- Typhoid/Yellow fever
- I.D.S etc.
- Name the two types of disease that exist.
- List the ways pathogens enter into our body.
- Mention the types of communicable disease.
Non – Communication diseases
Non – Communication diseases are diseases that cannot be transmitted from one person to another.
Examples of Non – communicable Disease
- Sickle cell anaemia
Diseases Preventive Measures
- Wash the hand properly before eating and after using the toilet
- Cook your foods well before eating e.g. pork and beef.
- Fresh fruits that are not cooked must be thoroughly washed with clean water
- Avoid moving near an infected persons e.g. cough and catarrh
- Always boil your water where treated water is not available.
- Keep your fingers clean and cut short your finger nails
- Avoid sharing personal belonging with others e.g. cups, combs, pants, singlet, towel, brush and others.
- Treat wounds and sores and never leave them exposed.
- Ensure good sanitation in and around the house.
- Fumigate your surroundings regularly.
- Explain the following terms:
- Mention any five disease causative agents.
- ____________ are micro-organisms that can cause disease Man B. Disease C. Pathogens D. None of the above
- The illness or disorder of the mind and body is called ___________ Disease B. Man
- Pathogens D. All of the above
- Pathogens can enter into the body through the following ways except ________ Nose B. Skin C. Intestine D. None of the above
- Diseases that can be spread from one person to another is called _________ communicable B. Non-communicable C. bacteria D. fungi
- Which of the following is not types of communicable diseases? Airborne disease
- Waterborne diseases C. Contaminated food diseases D. None of the above
- List out five examples of communicable disease.
- State any five preventive measures of diseases you know.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate