Table of Contents
Nutrition is the process of taking in food to get energy and maintain life. It is also called feeding in living organisms.
Food is any substance which when eaten is used to maintain life and growth.
Importance of Food
- To give energy
- To maintain life
- It makes us grow
- To make one stay healthy
- It helps to build the body and repair worn-out tissues
- It enables the body to fight against diseases.
FOOD ITEMS OR FOOD STUFFS
These are items or things that we eat. Examples are rice, beans, yam, garri, fish, groundnut etc.
Meal – This is a combination of two or more food items eaten together.
Diet – This refers to the meals that we eat everyday
SOURCES OF FOOD
Food items can be classified into two sources
- Rootsg. cassava, carrot, etc.
- Underground stems e.g. Irish potato, yam, onion etc.
- Fruitsg. palm oil, tomato, guinea corn, maize etc.
- Seedsg. beans, groundnut oil, rice etc.
These include meat, cheese, chicken, egg etc.
CLASSES OF FOOD
Food can be grouped according to the nutrients they contain and the functions they perform:
Sources: Rice, Cassava, wheat, maize, millet, potato etc.
Function: It gives us energy.
Source: Meat, Fish, beans, groundnut, milk, egg, melon etc.
Functions: (i) Repairs of worn-out tissues
(ii) It promote growth
(iii) It gives us energy when carbohydrates is lacking in the body.
- Fats and oils
Sources: Palm oil, groundnut oil, margarine, butter
Functions: (i) Act as insulator and prevent heat loss
(ii) Provides much energy
(iii) It forms part of cell membrane
(iv) It cushions body organs.
Source: Leafy vegetables, fruits (like oranges, pawpaw, etc.), egg, liver, palm oil.
Functions: (i) Promotes healthy body and growth in children.
(ii) Prevent diseases
- Mineral salts:
Sources: Fruit, eggs, milk, dried fish, vegetables
Functions: (i) Aids the formation of good bones, teeth, blood, meat and liver
Source: Rain, spring, river, well
Functions: (i) component of the blood and flesh
(ii) Aids digestion
Functions: (i) makes food to pass through the digestive system easily.
A nutrient is a chemical or food that provides what living things need to live a healthy life and grow well. The different classes of food can also be called nutrients.
It is a diet that contains the correct combination of all the classes of food in the required amount or proportions.
Importance of Balanced Diet
- It makes us to stay healthy
- It helps to prevent malnutrition
- It helps to protect the body from diseases.
- What is food?
- State four importance of food
- Mention three sources of carbohydrate
- Which of these is not a major function of food? (a) to provide energy (b) to sustain life (c) to make us fairer (d) to make us grow
- The following are classes of food except (a) protein (b) vitamins (c) fruits (d) carbohydrates
- The diet that contain all the six classes of food in their right proportion is called (a) appetizer (b) balanced diet (c) complete food (d) charismas food
- Which of these foot items aids digestion? (a) vegetables (b) fat and oil (c) protein (d) carbohydrate
- Which of the following is an arrangement of protein, carbohydrate and vitamin respectively (a) rice, juice and yam (b) milk, garri and palm oil (c) corn, beans and cassava (d) juice, milk and egg
- Define balanced diet
- State three importance of balanced diet
- List the classes of food
- State two functions of protein