National security is the ability of a nation to create and maintain a peaceful environment that is free from internal and external disturbances. No nation can experience true development without a relative level of national security politically and economically.
Nations of the world have their national security agencies. These agencies are responsible for ensuring peace and order in the society. Some of these agencies are: the military (Army, Navy and Air force), the Police Force, paramilitary organizations (Custom, Immigration, National Civil Defence Corps, etc), the State Security Service (SSS), National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).
CRIMES THAT AFFECT NATIONAL SECURITY
- Pipeline Vandalism: This is the internal destruction of petroleum pipes in order to steal petroleum products.
- Drug Trafficking: This is the illegal transportation of hard drugs from one place to another for economic gain.
- Illegal Bunkering: This is the unlawful transportation of petroleum products to other parts of the world for selfish gains.
- Importation of Expired Drugs.
5 Arson: This is the unlawful administration of justice on suspected criminals by setting them on fire.
- Human Trafficking: This is the illegal recruitment, transportation, harboring and engagement of people for selfish gains.
EFFECTS OF POOR SECURITY
- It can lead a state of anarchy – a state of lawlessness.
- It can hinder growth and development.
- It can lead to increased crime rate.
- It can lead to war and civil disturbances.
- It can lead to low foreign investment.
- The country becomes vulnerable to external attack.
PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF NATIONAL INSECURITY
The government and the individuals have roles to play in ensuring security in a nation. Below are some of the ways to enhance national security.
- Respect for law and order.
- Development of the spirit of patriotism, love and commitment to defend the country.
- Vigilance and report of any security threat.
- Cooperation with rulers and government agencies.
- Personal involvement through volunteer services.
- Proper equipment of the security agencies.
- Good governance.