Table of Contents
Meaning of National Identity
National identity is a person’s identity or sense of belonging to one state or to one nation. It is the sense of “a nation as a cohesive whole, as represented by distinctive traditions, culture, and language.” National identity may refer to the subjective feeling one share with a group of people about a nation, regardless of one’s legal citizenship status.
National identity can be referred to as the symbols, actions and behaviour, beliefs, languages and feelings that make people from one country different from people from other countries. It also means accepting and belonging to å country by taking part in its activities, and obeying the rules and regulations of that country.
The National flag
Elements of National identity
There are certain things that make it possible for people to identify themselves as members of one country or another.
These include the following
- National anthem: This is å song which has å special importance for å country. It tells the way the people feel about their country.
- Citizenship of å nation: The citizens feel special about their nation. They enjoy certain rights and are expected to do certain things for their country.
- Payment of taxes and dues: The people pay taxes which are used to develop their country.
- Working to make the society better: All true citizens of å country strive towards making their country better.
- Showing respect for national symbols: People who identify with their country show respect for the national symbols of their country. For example, in Nigeria, many offices and organizations fly the national flag always. Some have the coat of arms, the pictures of the president, and the state governor. We stand at attention when we say the national pledge and when we sing the national anthem.
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
The Teacher revises the previous week lesson.
The Teacher introduces the new topic.
The Teacher explains the note in details.
The Teacher gives room for pupils to ask questions.
The Teacher evaluates the pupils.
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
- Define national identify
- List some of the elements national identify
Define national identify
List 5 elements of national identify
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other eLearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate