Meaning of Chemicals
A chemical is define as any substance which is capable of breaking down, or combining with its kind or other substances under a suitable environment, to become a new substance, having a completely different character, behavior, quality or use.
Chemicals suitable for use and those not suitable for use.
- Characteristics of chemicals suitable for use Characteristics of chemicals not suitable for use
Non-hazardous chemicals (hazardous chemical)
- Safe i. Dangerous
- Harmless ii. Harmful traits particularly when ingested or by mere contact.
iii. Can be inhaled and ingested iii. Destructive to life and the environment
- Non toxic iv. Toxic
- Non-irritant v. Irritant
- Non-corrosive vi. Corrosive
vii. Non-radioactive vii. Radioactive
viii. Non – flammable viii. Flamable
NEEDS FOR MONITORING AND CONTROL
NAFDAC regulates, monitors and controls the importation, exportation, manufacture, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of foods, drugs and chemicals.
This is to
- Ensure compliance with standard specifications designated and approved by the council.
- Enable appropriate investigation into the production premises and raw materials.
- Establish relevant quality assurance system.
- Ensure that advertisements in the print and electronic media are not abused
- Monitor the utilization of controlled chemical substances
- Scrutinize the disposal records of chemicals
- Ensure non-diversion of chemicals for illicit usage
- Ensure that people less knowledgeable or completely ignorant are not allowed to work with chemicals or come near them.
- Ensure that handlers of chemicals are kitted with safety gadgets
- Ensure that chemicals are not sold in residential areas.
- Ensure that food and pharmaceuticals are not stored in the same place with pesticides and industrial chemicals
- Ensure safe handling of foods, drugs and chemicals; and
- Ensure safe distribution of foods, drugs and chemicals
1a. Define a chemical
- List four (4) suitable and four (4) not suitable for use
- State five (5) needs for monitoring and control of chemicals
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- State the qualities of chemicals suitable for use
- List four quantities of chemicals not suitable for use
- What is a chemical?
- Which body is responsible for monitoring, regulating and control of importation, exportation, manufactureetc of foods, drugs and chemicals in Nigeria?
- Why should less knowledgeable people not work with or get near to chemicals?
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT – Section A
- _________ regulates, monitors and controls the use of chemicals in Nigeria A. SON B. NBC C. FESTAC NAFDAC
- If a chemical is toxic, flammable, corrosive and irritant then it is ________ A. suitable for use B. Not
suitable for use C. Costly D. exportable
- If a chemical is non-radioactive then it is A. harmful harmless C. imported D. exported
- Toxic chemicals are A. harmful to man and his environment suitable for increasing food
production C. suitable for fish farming D. suitable for food preservation.
- One of these is not a reason for monitoring and control of chemicals, to A. ensure that handlers of
chemicals are kitted with safety gadgets B. ensure that chemicals are not sold in residential areas
- ensure that people are evacuated from harmless chemical D. ensure non-diversion of chemicals for illicit usage
- List six (6) measures taken to ensure proper monitoring and control of chemicals
- List four (4) chemicals that are suitable for use and four that are not suitable for use.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓