What is cooking? Cooking is a process of preparing food by applying heat. Discuss reasons for cooking food. Identify different methods of cooking. State general rules for different methods of cooking.
Table of Contents
Why do we cook food?
- To improve flavour or taste of food.
- To improve appearance and make it more appealing.
- To kill germs and parasites hence making it safe for human consumption.
- To preserve it.
- To make it tender/ soft, hence easy to chew, digest and absorb.
- To improve the texture.
Factors that Determine Methods of Cooking
- Type of food to be cooked.
- Personal taste/ preference.
- Person being cooked for.
- Time available.
- Cooking equipment available.
- Number of people to be served.
- Amount of money available.
There are two main categories of methods of cooking namely:
- Those that use moist heat
- Those that use dry heat
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge some fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate to help you and others to continue to use this portal. Thank you so much. Click here to donate