An alloy is a material made by melting one or more metals together with other elements. This is an alphabetical list of alloys grouped according to the base metal of the alloy. Some alloys are listed under more than one element, since the composition of the alloy may vary such that one element is present in a higher concentration than the others.
- AA-8000: used for building wire
- Al-Li (aluminum, lithium, sometimes mercury)
- Alnico (aluminum, nickel, copper)
- Duralumin (copper, aluminum)
- Magnalium (aluminum, 5% magnesium)
- Magnox (magnesium oxide, aluminum)
- Nambe (aluminum plus seven other unspecified metals)
- Silumin (aluminum, silicon)
- Zamak (zinc, aluminum, magnesium, copper)
- Aluminum forms other complex alloys with magnesium, manganese, and platinum
Properties of metals
|Malleable and ductile||Brittle|
|React with oxygen to form basic oxides||React with oxygen to form acidic oxides|
|Sonorous||Dull sound when hit with hammer|
|High melting and boiling points||Low melting and boiling points|
|Good conductors of electricity||Poor conductors of electricity|
|Good conductors of heat||Poor conductors of heat|
|Mainly solids at room temp. Exception mercury – liquid at room temp.||Solids, liquids and gases at room.temp.|
|Shiny when polished||Dull looking|
|When they form ions, the ions are positive||When they form ions, the ions are negative – except hydrogen that forms a positive ion, H+.|
|High density||Low density|
Common Metals and Non-Metals
Uses of metals and non-metals
The uses of metals are related to their properties:
They are made into jewellery due to their hard and shiny appearance.
They are used to make pans, since they are good conductors of heat.
They are used in electrical cables, because they are malleable, ductile and good conductors of electricity.
They are strong so used to build scaffolding and bridges.
They make a ringing sound, sonorous, hence their use in bell making.
Used as insulating material around wire cables since they do not conduct electricity.
Used to make pan handles as they are poor conductors of heat.
1. describe 5 properties of metals
2. state 5 uses of metals
Carrier opportunities in technology