Heat is a form of energy that increases the level of hotness of the body.
Temperature is the degree of hotness or coldness of the body –water, iron, food etc.
Heat and temperature are often used as if they are used as the same thing. When substance is hot, the temperature is high and when substance is less hot, the temperature is lower. Temperature can be measured with thermometer.
Thermometer is a device used for measuring the temperature of the body.
TYPES OF THERMOMETER
- Clinical or medical thermometer: it is used to measure body temperature
- Laboratory thermometer: it is used to measure the temperature of an experiment.
- Infrared ear thermometer: it is used to measure the temperature in the ear.
- Infrared thermometer: it is used to measure the temperature of a surface. For example, forehead.
- Mercury thermometer
- Digital or analogue thermometer: thermometer is either in digital or analogue mode.
USES OF THERMOMETER
By now you know that a thermometer is used for measuring temperature. You may wonder what other uses it has. What matters is the type of temperature being measured and the reason for measuring it. Special thermometers are used for different purposes. You will have to study such thermometers in the actual places where they are used. So your teacher will take you out to the following places:
- Any weather observation centre to see:
- a) The simple thermometer and how it is used to record temperature at regular intervals.
- b) The maximum-and-minimum thermometer and how it is used to record the maximum and minimum temperatures every 24 hours.
- A hospital to see:
- a) The simple thermometer and how it is used to measure the temperature of various substances.
- b) The clinical thermometer and how it is used to measure the human body temperature.
- A catering department or catering school to see:
- a) How thermometers are used to measure the temperatures of various items.
- b) How the thermometers that are built into some equipment work, particularly those built into stoves and ovens.
- A chemical factory to see special types of thermometers and how they are used for measuring very high and very low temperatures.
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
The Teacher revises the previous week lesson.
The Teacher introduces the new topic.
The Teacher explains the note in details.
The Teacher gives room for pupils to ask questions.
The Teacher evaluates the pupils.
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
- Explain the meaning of heat and energy
- Differentiate between heat and energy
Complete the following sentences
1. As water is being heated gradually, the temperature___________________. When the source of heat is removed, the temperature _________________.
2. The temperature of ice cube is ______________ than that of ordinary water, but the temperature of boiling water is _____________