Heat is a form of energy that increases the level of hotness of the body.
Temperature is the degree of hotness or coldness of the body –water, iron, food etc.
Heat and temperature are often used as if they are used as the same thing.. When substance is hot, the temperature is high and when substance is less hot, the temperature is lower. Temperature can be measured with thermometer.
Thermometer is a device used for measuring the temperature of the body.
UNITA AND SYMBOLS OF TEMPERATURE SCALE
DEGREE CELSIUS (0C)
Hint- 0c to 0f, divide by 5, then multiply by 9, then add 32
Example1: convert 100 Celsius to Fahrenheit
Then, 2×9 = 18
Then, 18 ± 32 = 50·F
Example 2: convert 350 Celsius to Fahrenheit
First, 350/5 = 7
Then, 7×9 = 63
Then, 63 ± 32 = 95·F
- 150 Celsius to Fahrenheit
UNIT AND SYMBOLS OF TEMPERATURE SCALE
Hint- 0F to 0C: SUBTRACT 32. THEN MULTIPLY BY 5, AND THEN DIVIDE BY 9
Example 1: CONVERT 680 Fahrenheit to Degree Celsius
First, 68-32 = 36
Then, 36×5 = 180
Therefore, 180/9 = 200 Celsius.
Example 2: CONVERT 810 Fahrenheit to Degree Celsius
First, 81-32 = 49
Then, 49×5 = 245
Therefore, 245/9 =27.0 Celsius.
USES OF THERMOMETER
- It is used to measure the outdoor temperature
- It is used to measure body temperature
- It is used to measure body temperature when someone is ill to determine if that person has fever.
- It is used to measure the temperature of an experiment.
- It is used to measure the temperature of a cold room
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
The Teacher revises the previous week lesson.
The Teacher introduces the new topic.
The Teacher explains the note in details.
The Teacher gives room for pupils to ask questions.
The Teacher evaluates the pupils.
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
- identify and write the units and symbol of temperature scale
- state the relationship between Degree Celsius and Degree Fahrenheit
- State the use of thermometer to measure the temperature of objects accurately.
Answer these questions
- On a certain thermometer, the ice point reads 25 cm and the steam point reads 175 cm. What will this thermometer show for 30°C?
- What is the average body temperature of a healthy human being? Why is a hospital thermometer marked to measure only to about 43°C? Draw and label a hospital thermometer.
3. What does temperature have to do with the weather?
MEANING OF HEAT AND TEMPERATURE
MEANING AND IMPORTANCE OF ENERGY CONVERSION
MEANING AND USES OF MAINTENANCE MATERIALS