This is a dwelling place for family members. It is where family members stay together and share love. It is a place where children are trained and prepared for adult life.
This is a building kept for people to live in. It is also a place where properties are kept.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A HOME
- It must provide comfort and security to the family
- A home normally belongs to a family who owns it.
- It is base where family members can return to even when they are old.
- Family members share love, intimacy and companionship in the home,
- It meets the shelter needs of the family.
- Family members communicate among themselves.
TYPES OF HOUSES
- Mud Houses:These are commonly found in rural areas. They have shallow foundation and are not suitable in riverine areas. They are usually cool in hot /dry season and warm during the cool season.
- Bamboo Houses: This type of house is common in riverine areas. They are houses constructed on top of stilts standing in water. It has different shape with thatched roofs.
- Modern Houses: Modern houses can be made from red bricks or cement blocks with iron sheet or roofing.
Types of Modern Houses
- Single-Family Houses: E.g. bungalow, one or several storeys high.
- Two- Storey Houses: Can have two or more flats or can be divided into four wings.
- The Multi-storey Houses: have many flats or are designed to be used as offices or for a shopping centres.
1.Define the following: (a) House (b) Home.
2.List three types of house and explain anyone.
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE LOCATION AND CHOICE OF FAMILY AND HOUSE
- The economic status of the family.
- The location of the house.
- Design of the house.
- Family life style i.e., either to live a secluded life or not will affect one’s choice of location.
- Family taste in relation to the various rooms and facilities in the house.
- Size or number of people in relation to size of the house.
Violence: It is a physical force used to harm someone or something. It may result in damage of property or injury to people or death.
Domestic Violence: This is the type of violence that occurs in the home. It could be between husband and wife, siblings or other persons living in the home.
TYPES OF DOMESTIC ABUSE
- Partner Abuse: This is the violence between married partners (husband and wife).
- Child Abuse: This is common in most families. Child abuse can be in different ways such as
(ii) Emotional abuse
(iii) Physical abuse
(iv) Sexual abuse
GUIDELINES AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
- Parents should listen to their children’s complaints.
- The rights of children should be respected.
- The home should be made conducive for all family members.
- Family members should communicate well with one another.
- Parents should settle their difference as soon as possible and live in peace.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUETIONS
- Mention five types of domestic abuse.
- Mention three characteristics of a home.
- List four factors that determine the choice of a home.
- Mention five major areas in Home Economics and explain any two.
- Enumerate four subjects related to Home economics.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- ……..type of house is commonly found rural area. (a) mud (b) bamboo (c) modern (d) all of the above.
- ……… type of house is commonly in riverine areas (a) bamboo(b) mud (c) modern (d) aluminium.
- Children are trained for adult life in the………. (a)house (b) home (c) building (d) church.
- Properties are kept in the……..(a)home(b) house(c) building (d) school.
- ——Influences the location and choice of a family house(a) income (b) complexion (c) church (d) extended family.
- List three types of house
- State four factors that influence the location and choice of family house.