Table of Contents
This is a building kept for people to live in. It is also a place where properties are kept.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A HOME
- It must provide comfort and security to the family
- A home normally belongs to a family who owns it.
- It is base where family members can return to even when they are old.
- Family members share love, intimacy and companionship in the home,
- It meets the shelter needs of the family.
- Family members communicate among themselves.
TYPES OF HOUSES
- Mud Houses:These are commonly found in rural areas. They have shallow foundation and are not suitable in riverine areas. They are usually cool in hot /dry season and warm during the cool season.
- Bamboo Houses: This type of house is common in riverine areas. They are houses constructed on top of stilts standing in water. It has different shape with thatched roofs.
- Modern Houses: Modern houses can be made from red bricks or cement blocks with iron sheet or roofing.
Types of Modern Houses
- Single-Family Houses: E.g. bungalow, one or several storeys high.
- Two- Storey Houses: Can have two or more flats or can be divided into four wings.
- The Multi-storey Houses: have many flats or are designed to be used as offices or for a shopping centres.
1.Define the following: (a) House (b) Home.
2.List three types of house and explain anyone.
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE LOCATION AND CHOICE OF FAMILY AND HOUSE
- The economic status of the family.
- The location of the house.
- Design of the house.
- Family life style i.e., either to live a secluded life or not will affect one’s choice of location.
- Family taste in relation to the various rooms and facilities in the house.
- Size or number of people in relation to size of the house.
Violence: It is a physical force used to harm someone or something. It may result in damage of property or injury to people or death.
Domestic Violence: This is the type of violence that occurs in the home. It could be between husband and wife, siblings or other persons living in the home.
TYPES OF DOMESTIC ABUSE
- Partner Abuse: This is the violence between married partners (husband and wife).
- Child Abuse: This is common in most families. Child abuse can be in different ways such as
(ii) Emotional abuse
(iii) Physical abuse
(iv) Sexual abuse
GUIDELINES AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
- Parents should listen to their children’s complaints.
- The rights of children should be respected.
- The home should be made conducive for all family members.
- Family members should communicate well with one another.
- Parents should settle their difference as soon as possible and live in peace.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUETIONS
- Mention five types of domestic abuse.
- Mention three characteristics of a home.
- List four factors that determine the choice of a home.
- Mention five major areas in Home Economics and explain any two.
- Enumerate four subjects related to Home economics.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- ……..type of house is commonly found rural area. (a) mud (b) bamboo (c) modern (d) all of the above.
- ……… type of house is commonly in riverine areas (a) bamboo(b) mud (c) modern (d) aluminium.
- Children are trained for adult life in the………. (a)house (b) home (c) building (d) church.
- Properties are kept in the……..(a)home(b) house(c) building (d) school.
- ——Influences the location and choice of a family house(a) income (b) complexion (c) church (d) extended family.
- List three types of house
- State four factors that influence the location and choice of family house.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate