Conflict resolution is the various process involved in the settlement of dispute, disagreement or conflict between people, groups or nations. Disagreement is part of human interaction. The challenge however is when such disagreement arises, how can it be managed or resolved.
NONVIOLENT METHODS OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION
- Dialogue: This has to do with discussions between the various parties involved in the conflict. It is expected that at the end of the discussion the parties involved will come together and allow for peace. Recently, the federal government entered into dialogue with Boko Haram in the North East and Niger Delta Avengers in the South-South in order to restore peace in the regions.
- Mediation: This is the process whereby a neutral third-party facilitates reconciliation and agreement between people or groups who are aggrieved. The third-party must be unbiased in the process of settlement to ensure a lasting peace between the parties involved.
- Arbitration: This is the process of resolving disputes between people or groups by referring them to a third party, who makes judgment based on the evidences received from the parties involved.
- Court ruling: This process of conflict resolution involves the appearance of the aggrieved people in a competent court of law for the determination of their disagreement by lawyers and judges.
- Community meeting: This is a method of conflict resolution that has to do with the intervention of the members of the community. This method is common in small communities and villages.
ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED FOR CONFLICT RESOLUTION
Conflict is inevitable in most human communities. However, when such conflicts arise certain factors must be present in order to resolve the conflict amicably.
- Mutual understanding between the people or groups.
- Ability to show respect for rule of law.
- Tolerance among the various groups and people.
- Respect for opposing views.
- Contentment among groups and the people.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓