Maintenance is highly essential in order to prolong its contributing functionality.
The maintenance of programs inside the computer system such as virus, a spyware removal, back up software and a registry removal, cleaner. Every PC should be installed with an anti virus, a spyware removal application back up and a registry cleanser.
Some helpful Tips
- Always scan your system once a week.
- The hardware should also be defragmented at least once a month.
- Delete all temporary files and cookies at regular interval.
TYPES OF SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE
- Corrective Maintenance
- Perfective Maintenance
- Adaptive Maintenance
- Preventive maintenance
This type of maintenance involves developing and deploying solution to problems that occur during usage of a software program. For instance, when an error message comes up on the screen or program is hanging or freezing or crashing, this implies that corrective software maintenance is needed. A computer programmer is employed to work on a more permanent solution to the problems.
This is a measure taken by computer programmer to upgrade the way a software programs function or how fast it processes, requests, develop software menu layouts and command interface so as to ensure that the program has zero tolerance for flaws.
It takes care of the changes that occur in software development. For instance, if there is a change in processors speed, thus change will invariably affect how the software performs on a single computer software interfaces with other software programs. So changes in one program necessitates changes in other programs.
This is a situation whereby computer programmers try to prevent problems with software programs before they occur. They seek to prevent corrective maintenance as well as anticipating adaptive maintenance needs before users encounter problems. This is done by test running their programs to ensure that the software can handle high data loads and other stressful opearatiobn without difficulties. Computer programmers also ensure compatibility by testing the software with other programs users that are likely to use their software.
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ACTIVITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
- Installing anti virus protection software and update
- Install firewall on your computer
- Keep computer registry up to date.
- Make sure your operating system is up to date
- Delete cookies
- Discuss the four types of software maintenance.
- State five benefits of software maintenance.
BENEFITS OF SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE
- It promotes fully functional and highly reliable computer.
- If preventive maintenance operations are carried out regularly, a PC will never run slowly or have programs that changes or freezes the computer.
- When programs like CC cleaners or disk cleanser is used to clean up your hard drive , and also run Defraggler CD disk. Defragment process pack your files that are scattered across your hard drive into configures cluster ( Disk Defragmenter), allowing the file system to locate them easily.
- When a PC is protected and maintained by S/W clean up programs, the hrd drive will not be slow and fragmentation will hardly occur.
- Registry cleaning.
- Problems due to lack of maintenance are reduced.
ROUTINE COMPUTER MAINTENANCE
Routine Computer Maintenance consists of tasks performed on computer daily, weekly or monthly in order to keep the computer running efficiently for a long time.
- Disk cleaning should be done weekly to get rid of “trash”.
- Defragmentation- Run defrag which is located in terms tools to pull those fragments into one location.
- Always update your system
- Back up with external hard drive and back-up software.
- Physical maintenance, i.e., regular physical cleaning of the hardware components should be observed.
- Internet Security: Always run full updated antivirus program when using the internet and also perform full system scan with your anti virusprogram.It is ideal to run a firewall to block potential threats.
- Patches and updates: They are regularly released by software companies to tackle security problems found in the programs. System administrators and network technicians should regularly download and apply these updates to ensure that their computersand their networks are protected from hackers, viruses and network intrusions.
- Apply repair functions.
COMPUTER MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Never turn your computer off with the power switch on until window has shut down.
- Get a UPS ( Uninterrupted Power Supply) for your computer.
- Back up your data to external hard drives, DVD/ CD Roms, USB/ drives, memory card etc.
- Run scan disk and defragment at least once in a month.
- Never unplug peripheral from the computer when it is on.
- Ensure that you have 300 mbs or 500-600 mbs of free space on your C Drive for window XP, Vista, or Window 7.
- Do not allow a lot of programs to load up when you start your computer.
- Use anti-virus checker regularly.
- Use a firewall program for a high speed internet connection.
- Keep track of the software disk you receive with your computer and new peripheral.
- Make sure window update is set.
- State five routine computer maintenance.
- State six computer maintenance tips.
- Which of the following is not a software maintenance? a) Virus b) Spyware c) Hard disk d) Registry removal
- The software maintenance that involves developing and deploying solutions to problems is .……… a) corrective b) adaptive c) preventive d) perfective
- The software maintenance that takes care of the changes that occur in software maintenance is called ……… a) adaptive b) corrective c) perfective d) preventive
- Disk cleaning should be done ……….. a) hourly b) daily c) weekly d) yearly
- Patches and update are regularly released by software companies to tackle security problems found in …………. a) programs b) hardware c) people ware d) peripheral
- List and explain the four software maintenance.
- State four benefits of software maintenance
- State three routine computer maintenance
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate