LUNCH is the main meal of the day. It is taken in the afternoon as the midday meal. Lunch is wider in scope as it could include plate du jour, carte du jour, continental menu or local menu. The soup or protein is always served first.
LUNCHEON is a midday meal, served as part of entertainment of guests in a gathering. It is an afternoon party where a light meal is served in connection with a meeting or other special occasion.
For Special party in our localities the following dishes are generally acceptable:
*Chicken jollof rice
*Turkey fried rice
*Beef coconut rice
*Fish curried rice
*Lamb braised rice
*Varieties of swallow ranging from poundo, wheat meal, semovita,amala, eba ,tuwo and
*Soups like vegetable,melon,ogbonor,ewedu.okro etc.
Varieties allow the guests to make their preferences.
- Differentiate between lunch and luncheon.
- List three different that can be served in a luncheon.
SAMPLE LUNCHEON MENU (For a gathering)
1st course: Tomato soup/ onion soup
2nd course: Fried chicken jollof rice/fried rice/moimoi
Beef egusi soup/ vegetable soup/ ewedu soup
3rd course: Fruit salad/ Chapman
SUGGESTED MENU FOR LUNCH (Continental)
Roasted chicken/ smoked fish/ scrambled eggs
Spaghetti bolognaise/ risotto rice
Fruit punch chocolate pudding/ cheese
- Explain the term luncheon
- Suggest a suitable meal for luncheon
Dinner is the last meal of the day.It is usually lighterthan lunch menus to enable easy digestion. It could be an a la carte or table d’hote with more appetizer/ entrée than luncheon menus. It is called supper when taken late at night, in which case it is much lighter and protein is served first.
CONTINENTAL DINNER MENU
- Marinated roast chicken
Tomato sauce/ boiled pasta/ potatoes/ fried plantain
Low fat yoghurt/ A piece of cake
- Meat kebabs
Pancakes/ gluten free bread
A glass of milk shake/ Florida cocktail
LOCAL DINNER MENU
Beef stew with gbegiri/ ewedu
Amala/ Tuwo/ Agidi (Eko)
Kunu/ Zobo/ Soyamilk
- Write short notes on the followinga.Luncheon Dinner
- State three rules for boiling
- State two rules for frying
- List four different groups of people that require special menu
- State three differences between a la carte and table d’hote menu.
Basic catering for SSS1-3 by Omotayo and Olorunda. Pages 247-253
- The word luncheon means ____ A. morning party B. afternoon partyC. dinner partyD. night party
- Dinner parties are usually held in the ____ A.nightB.dayC.noonD.evening
- Which among the under listed is not an example of cold buffet? A. Toast B. Smoked cold meat C. HamsD. Bacon
- A good dinner should not be ____ A. heavy B. lightC. big D. small
- Which of the following is not a type meat?A. Ham B.Pork C. BeefD.Duck
- Explain the following terms A.Luncheon Dinner
- Suggest a suitable menu for a dinner party.
- luncheon and dinner
- lunch and dinner
- lunch and dinner ideas
- lunch and dinner difference
- lunch and dinner meaning
- lunch and dinner ideas for toddlers
- lunch and dinner menu
- lunch and dinner time
- lunch and dinner to go kent