A machine is a simple object which makes our work easier to do. Many objects in the school and at home such as a pair of scissors, bottle opener and cutlass, are examples of simple machines. In science, anything that makes us to use less energy to do much work or overcome a large force is called a machine.
Examples of simplest machines are the levers and pulleys.
MEANING OF LEVER
A lever is a simple machine that has the point of motion where effort can be made to carry a load.
EXAMPLES OF LEVER
- Nut cracker
- Hockey stick
- Wheel barrow
- Door handle
- Hole puncher
PARTS OF LEVER
The three most important parts of a lever are:
- Fulcrum or Pivot.
USES OF LEVER
- Seesaw is used to have fun with a friend;
- Scissor is used for cutting;
- Crowbar used for split something apart or take out nails;
- Hockey stick used to play hockey;
- Wheel barrow is used move dirt or anything else;
- Door handle is used to get through a door;
- Dolly it is used to move heavy boxes and freight;
- Hole puncher it is you for making hole on belt; etc.
Strategies & Activities
Step: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step 2: Teacher introduces the new topic.
Step3: Teacher endeavors to explain all the points to the pupils thoroughly.
Step 4: Teacher welcomes pupils’ questions.
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils.
. Name five common levers and machines in their homes;
- Locate the pivot (fulcrum) load and effort arms in common lever machines;
- State five common uses of levers.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate