Kinship refers to the relationships between people. These can be by blood, marriage or adoption. People that belong to the same kinship system are referred to as kin.
Importance of kinship system and ties
Kinship relationships were and still are important among African communities.
This is because these ties:
- Provided company. This ensured that people were not lonely.
- Provided a sense of belonging which one of the human needs. We all want to belong.
iii. Controlled social relationships between people related by blood or marriage.
- Promoted mutual responsibility and help.
- Enhanced a sense of security which is a human need.
- Regulated marital customs, rules and regulations.
vii. Enabled people to live peacefully and in harmony.
viii. Bind the community together enhancing social cohesion and loyalty to each other.
- Facilitated care for the disadvantaged members of community.
- Ensured that all members of the community are have knowledge of community beliefs and practices.
- Provided a peaceful way of settling disputes.
xii. Provided mechanisms for proper inheritance of property for example land.
Factors contributing to harmony and mutual responsibility in African communities.
These are many.
Some of them are
(i) Rites of passage
(2) Good morals
(3) Participation in communal activities such as ceremonies, work, leisure activities and worship
(4) Sharing of property and ideas
(5) Division of labour. Tasks were distributed according to one’s age, gender and status.
(6) rules/social norms regulated how people grew up; knowing what is wrong and right.
Good morals help people to live in peace and harmony.
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate