Civic education of citizenship education is that subject that teach Nigeria youths their duties and right to become good followers and responsible future leaders. It indicates in them the right values, positive attitudes and behaviour that are embraced in the society.
Civic education expose students to necessary awareness of democratic values that will enable them make useful contribution to social – political development of their nation in particular and the world at large.
NEEDS FOR CIVIC EDUCATION
- It inculcates in its scholars the relevance of nationalism and patriotism as well as solution to the multi – dimensional problems of Nigeria.
- It inculcates in them the consciousness and awareness of democratic values, social political institutions and citizens rights and duties to the society.
- To assist the governments in serving the citizens well by providing basic infrastructural facilities that will rise their standard of living.
- To re-orientates the citizens to imbibe positive values that will assist the economic growth and development throughout the nation
- To educate citizens on how to fight for their right if any government goes contrary to the constitution.
OBJECTIVES OF CIVIC EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS
The school is a place where students come to acquire knowledge for potential actualization and self development. The following are the importance of civic education in schools:
- To receive instruction and learn about emergency of issues; so that student will be able to solve them.
- To emphasize the instruction of government, its functions and responsibilities to the people and vice-versa.
- To promote inter-relationship between man/woman, man/man, woman/woman, the government and the society.
- To assist the student in acquiring knowledge, attitudes, values and basic skills to become responsible and disciplined citizens.
- To enable student realise day to day societal living at their critical age of thinking and reasoning about the happenings around them.
- To enable student raise up and defend the course of justice when the government fails to perture their duties.
IMPORTANCE OF CIVIC EDUCATION TO NATION BUILDING
Nation building involves promoting national unity, national intergrity and national consciousness. Thereby enhancing national development for a country to develop, the citizens must know their rights and responsibilities and how to fight for those rights when violated by government or individual
The following are the importance of citizen education
- It moves citizens to be particular in politics and social economic activities of the country.
- It enables students to understand the government and as a result take part in the decision moving process of the country.
- It reminds the student that democracy is the best form of government and by this, citizens are able to form pillars of democracy across the Nation.
It enables its scholars to acquire positive values that will assist them to be well behaved, courageous and responsible in their activities and relationship with members of the society